Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

Post by wiscocyclist »

danham wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:47 am My wallet will stay in my pocket for now, but there's always hope that the faster processor will be a desirable upgrade.

-dan
I think the Zumo XT is actually fairly fast. Try using a Zumo 396 sometime. A buddy of mine has one. The route calculation time is glacial. It actually feels slower than the old 660...
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

Ron Gilboa from facebook Garmin XT group:

„ First impressions on XT2
- version 3.1 sw will not recognize Garmin EU SD Card
- Ita not compatible with Base Camp - You can connect and upload routes into the new Tread organized routes
- USB connectivity - as usual somewhat shaky
- great bright display
- usb c
- new SD card port
- Tread will likely be a challenge if u like to be picky with routes - working a route on a smart phone will be frustrating
- new cradle contacts plug is not the same as the old XT so keep old Mount from the XT if u invested in powering it with adapters like 3DAM
- buy a case - it doesn't come with one
- since it's not supporting base camp - updating base camp tp the same map as GPS feature has gone missing (if u found it - let me know)
- this can cause routes discrepancy between map versions.

- Tread collections - has no folder structure. If u plan a ride with shaping, stops, and POIs all of these as well as the route and track will be part of the collection. If you have multiple rides make each a separate collection. Else, you will have a jumble of points, shaping points and all manner of route mixed together. Example if yiu want all your route in an area under one collection you will end up with a mess.
My solution is a Collection per ride

Stay tuned for more once I start using it for routes

- UPDATE
- when multiple Collections are present they can be visible or not visible as to not have a bunch showing up at once.

- once a route is created - adding a point mid way, say for a gas station, doesnt seem intutitive. U can zoom to the area and search a stop (i.e., gas) and make it a way point. But i have not figured out a way to weave it to the list of point or the map in proper context”

Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

wiscocyclist wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:35 am I think the Zumo XT is actually fairly fast. Try using a Zumo 396 sometime. A buddy of mine has one. The route calculation time is glacial. It actually feels slower than the old 660...
I have a 396 and in its defence, at least it can recalculate a route that is sensible if you go off an imported route that has via / way points.

Sure the XT is fast, fast but useless in the above scenario.
MotoToph
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

Fourbears wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:50 pm I had an email from Garmin inviting me to look at the new XT2. So I did and nearly spat my drink out when I saw the price. £550! Yes £550. So I won’t be remotely considering changing and will put up with the idiosyncrasies of the current one which I am ever more convinced is based on carousing software algorithms rather than motorcycle ones.
They are cheaper than early Zumos. The 665 was $999.
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
Zumek
Poland

Post by Zumek »

Biker_Andy
Canada

Post by Biker_Andy »

I just received my XT2 and am seriously disappointed. It does not have iOverlander like the website claims. Its missing a pile of other POI that the XT had. The "National Parks" are really only USA National Parks. Apparently Garmin doesn't know the rest of the world has National Parks too. Big step backwards and not an upgrade at all. I'd recommend against purchasing one, it's a waste of money.
Zumek
Poland

Post by Zumek »

Couldn't you have checked all this before buying?
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Zumek wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:00 am Couldn't you have checked all this before buying?
That is somewhat hard to do. Between the XT and XT2 Facebook group, which is cluttered with misinformation and speculation presented as fact, and Garmin's rather thin description of the XT2, it's a challenge to figure out what the right info is.

One important example: is the XT2 compatible with Basecamp? Simple question, right? Garmin unambiguously says no. But they say that about the zumo 660 and I used mine with BC for many years and many thousands of miles. Yes there were glitches and quirks, but it was possible to plan complex routes and ride them with only occasional difficulties. Is that the same for XT2? No idea, but my suspicion (yes, I'm speculating) is that you can no longer connect the XT2 to a computer and have BC transfer pre-planned routes seamlessly. You may, however, be able to export routes from BC and use other transfer methods and they may work. No way to tell until we get reliable reports from credible users.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Biker_Andy
Canada

Post by Biker_Andy »

Zumek wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:00 am Couldn't you have checked all this before buying?
I did check and as I mentioned Garmin's own website claimed it has iOverlander. This is a complete lie. Even their own custom service was in disbelief when I told them it doesn't. After contacting Garmin support they emailed me back acknowledging the website states it has iOverlander and saying they will remove this claim from their website. The XT2 is a marginally bigger screen that's minisculy brighter with way less features. It's a complete waste of money. Buy an XT or buy something else don't waste your money on a XT2.
axamax
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

Has anyone tried the XT2 in the rain? Is the screen still over-sensitive?
The XT becomes almost useless in any reasonable rain.