Trip Log / Track History Data

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
BashStreetKid
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Trip Log / Track History Data

Post by BashStreetKid »

Can anyone kindly enlighten me which folder BaseCamp stores trip log/track history data on my PC hard drive?

I have searched in all folders known to man, on my PC, and zilch.

TIA
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Re: Trip Log / Track History Data

Post by Peobody »

By default, BaseCamp data is stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database. This is configurable though so could be different if a database has been created other than default.

You specifically mention trip log/track history which, to me, is device data not BaseCamp data.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
BashStreetKid
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

@Peobody

Many thanks - that's exactly the folder I was after.

(Although it IS device data, it's stuff that's been saved from earlier adventures and shows up in BC when "tracks" are selected with two dark-grey bootprints.) I hope that makes sense....
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

BashStreetKid wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:54 pm (Although it IS device data, it's stuff that's been saved from earlier adventures and shows up in BC when "tracks" are selected with two dark-grey bootprints.) I hope that makes sense....
It does, sort of. If they are tracks that were created on the device by a ride, I am curious how you got them into BaseCamp. I have never created a track on my XT so this is new territory to me.
BashStreetKid
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

Peobody wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:11 pm
....I am curious how you got them into BaseCamp.
Hmm, I'm going to struggle with this - my memory isn't what it was :? :D
The tracks pre-date my XT device; and, in fact, some are from fifteen years ago when I used a 660-model. Then, subsequently, an NAV IV device.

ISTR that I either saved them to my desktop direct from BC (in one of its earlier iterations) or transferred them direct from one of the devices. I know I used to transfer tracks to GoogleEarth quite easily from BC - but regrettably that facility has been removed over the years.
My five-year sojourn away from motorcycling/GPS have not been gentle on my memory :lol:
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

No worries. I was just curious.
BashStreetKid
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

Peobody wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:27 pm ....
You specifically mention trip log/track history which, to me, is device data not BaseCamp data.
I have also transferred the track history / active logs to Google Earth, from the XT, within the past few months - if that's of any help?
I'm not sure if I'm answering a question you haven't asked, yet?
BashStreetKid
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

Peobody wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:11 pm ....
If they are tracks that were created on the device by a ride, I am curious how you got them into BaseCamp. I have never created a track on my XT so this is new territory to me.
@Peobody - I've had another look at this, using the XT device (I previously mentioned using tracks from different, older devices).

1. If you wish to transfer an active log track from the XT-device, create a Folder and New List in the Library (LH upper pane).
2. Ensure the XT-device is connected, and search for the track logs (boot prints).
3. Select the active log in the Data Window, and then drag-and-drop into your newly-created NEW List in the Library. (You can see the transfer taking place with a thin green progress bar adjacent to the New List.)
4. A copy of your 'saved active log' will now be resident on your PC hard drive.

I hope all that makes sense and answers your question.

Good luck
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Based on what I read in another thread, track logs are stored in a single file until archived. Based on that, I assume there is no control for selecting the track log of a specific ride.

I don't think this is anything I will ever use but I value the knowledge. Thanks @BashStreetKid.
BashStreetKid
Great Britain

Post by BashStreetKid »

Peobody wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:30 pm …… I assume there is no control for selecting the track log of a specific ride.
…..
You choose what you wish to save. Name it something memorable, and then it displays in BC library pane.
If a track has some intrinsic value to you, be that interesting scenery, nadgery roads, first trip to a strange country - the choice is yours. Then it’s up to you to save, as above.

I don’t save every track, only those of interest/value to me.

HTH