Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

Post by FrankB »

danham wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:47 am And the group ride radio requires a huge investment
If I understand the review video correctly, you dont have to purchase an antenna separately. The XT2 will use the internet from your smartphone.

Not that I will be using it.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Frank,

Thanks for the clarification. What I meant was the price of the XT2 that includes group comms is more than $1000 US (without group it is $599).

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

Owners manual to read, analyze, discuss ;)

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... epage.html
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Looking at the Garmin video embeded in the article below, there doesn't seem to be a map scale bar or north arrow when routing along a road :(

https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and-gea ... n-zumo-xt2
BrAtKo
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 5 times
Slovakia

Post by BrAtKo »

5 parts of the deep review just enable titles.
Image Honda NC750S DCT fuel consumption (122 000km from 2015y)
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

lkraus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:06 am On the Garmin web site now: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/867974
No manual available yet. (It's a Garmin, so don't expect much documentation.)

Bigger than the XT or Tread (5.5" screens), smaller than the Tread XL (8").

Possibly the same mount with a different cable - six electrical contacts instead of five on the XT.

The only feature that interests me is "Visual Route Planning." Could they finally have on-screen drag-n-drop routing?
Oop North John wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:46 am Will they have sorted out the routing algorithms compared to the smaller XT?
We can only dream. Instead of my usual use following BC routes on the bike, lately I've been using the XT in the car for local "take me to this address" routes. About 80% of the time, the route it suggests is neither faster or shorter. It has also refused to route through construction zones that are actually open. It does not inspire confidence when I leave a pre-planned route and have to rely on the XT.
Here is a link to the manual https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... AeK6epn2Hk
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by mad-dawg »

I think its a last ditch panic response from Garmin, its obvious their recent focus has been on lifestyle gadgets and not on motorised vehicle navigation.

Who in their right mind would buy the New XT2 when the original still throws up errors on a regular basis?

The XT device itself is great but, the software is unsatisfactory and the addition of features and gizmos to widen its appeal has meant that its core purpose is now secondary.

Its sad that Basecamp is not being kept up to date, the hoops you have to jump through to get a planned route from BC to the device and the device to then direct you to your destination are crazy. It smacks of an unfinished project, maybe Garmin have seen the competition and cannot afford the investment, who knows?

The lack of a Basecamp for Android/IOS shows their intent or lack of.

Back when I had a 550 I could send a route from BC and the Zumo would accept it and direct me to where I wanted to go. Yes if the maps didnt match it went wrong but with a little discipline it just worked. Now its a leap of faith, I have to display the track to be sure the XT is not re-calculating a "better" route. If I use closest entry or heaven forbid skip a point there is a better than even chance I will be RUT'd.

I admit I am weird in that my routes do not have coffee stops/ lunch venues etc, I stop when I want a break or a drink. I dont need suggested sites or sights, most of the things I want to see are on my pre-planned route. If there is a road sign for a site of interest I will leave the route to go and have a look and dont need nagging repeatedly to make a uturn.

Recently I have only used tracks, no via/way/shaping points, no audio instruction. It works, its like following a highlighted route on a map (hey thats an idea!). I dont need most of the features available, I just would like the benefit of a device that can reliably follow a planned route.

My XT is the last Garmin I will buy, when it fails or I build a funeral pyre and have a ceremonial parting I will use my phone with MRA or Scenic or any one of the other navigation apps and a CarPlay screen.

Good luck to the early adopters of XT2.
BrAtKo
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 5 times
Slovakia

Post by BrAtKo »

I have very very good experiences with TomTom 410 but it missing the all modern features I need (notifications from mobile, weather, music player, Foursquare, big LCD). But routing and planning via mydrive.tomtom.com was great. Core very good but additional features not available. Maybe some next generation will be available and than I'll swap back. Anyway all devices including XT2 are still very very slow.
Last edited by BrAtKo on Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Honda NC750S DCT fuel consumption (122 000km from 2015y)
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

danham wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:29 pm Frank,

Thanks for the clarification. What I meant was the price of the XT2 that includes group comms is more than $1000 US (without group it is $599).

-dan
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 62F05.html
It says here: "You can pair your zūmo® device with the Tread® app on your smartphone to enable Group Ride tracking features."

Only when you want "Voice communication and preset messaging" you "require a Group Ride accessory".

Having said that, I will not be using Group Ride, so not that important to me.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 1.26.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 1.26.54 PM.png (63.19 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
Group Ride Radio bundle includes the zūmo XT2 navigator, Group Ride Radio (6," 8" and 10”), Group Ride Radio Y-adapter cable and the high-current power cable. This solution allows for location sharing and voice communication with your group.
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE