Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

Post by Zumek »

Can anyone confirm info from this page? https://www.mrgps.nl/gps/garmin-zumo-xt2/

Automatic translation:

„ Earlier than expected: the successor to the Garmin Zumo XT: The Zumo XT2!

And then you would think: oh well, that's new wine in old bags. After three years already a successor to such a great device! After all, we saw that before with the Zumo 595.

But no... the XT2 looks like the XT outwardly, but it's really going to be a game-changer.

Most eye-catching:

the screen is 6 inches (instead of 5.5 inches at the XT)
The screen is 1050 nits bright (instead of 1000 nits at the XT)
The processor is faster
more POIs
Map coverage around the world (instead of Eu at the XT)
But more importantly:

The integration with the new route planning app ‘Tread’
The group function, where you can track other riders with an XT2 on your screen
better route planning incl automatically preferring Michelin roads.”
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Zumo XT2 in few weeks?

Post by FrankB »

Dont know anything about the XT2. But I do know MRGPS is a reliable source of info.
As I am native dutch speaker I'm looking at the videos now!

Somewhere in the video (deel 1 van 5) he says: 'The rear looks nearly the same'. Not clear if you need to have a different mount on the bike?
Comparison:
xt2.jpg
xt2.jpg (199.04 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
In video 'deel 4 van 5' at around 5 mins a demo of the Tread app is shown. It seems to support routes better than Explore
xt2_tread.jpg
xt2_tread.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

New features, translated using deepl.com:

„ The 6-inch screen is 15% larger than previous models and heft and even brighter HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode.
Rain? Vibrations? Dust? Doesn't white out. This device is boud to withstand all types of weather (IPX7) and conditions.
Plan a custom route on the device or use the Tread@ app with a compatible smartphone.
Use the map from your smartohone and/or zümo XT2 device to follow friends with the Group Ride Mobile function!
Discover unforgettable rides with MICHELIN Scenic Roads. Easily integrate them into your trip with the visual route planner or ride them spontaneously by selecting the marked scenic route directly on the map.
Check out popular motorbike routes ridden by other bikers to discover new and exciting routes.
Straight roads are boring. Find the most exciting routes with hills, curves and sights and choose from 4 levels of difficulty.
View and share ride data, including your altitude, acceleration, braking and more; requires pairing with the Tread® smartphone app
Thanks to MICHELIN's pre-installed Green Guide, including images, detailed descriptions and comments, you'll know where it's worth stopping
Discover the best spots along your route with suggestions for pupular spots or find local places to visit and exciting activities to try it near your current location.
Switch quickly between topographic road maps and satellite images, so you always have the perfect map for your drive.
Preloaded topographic maps with 3D terrain and road maps for Europe and the Middle East. Maps of Africa (including Tracks{Africa), North and South America, Australia and New Zealand sense free download at garmin.com/express.”
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/867974

If you look at the parts nbrs of the motorcycle cable they seem to be different:
XT:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/pn/010-12953-03
010-12953-03

XT2:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/pn/010-13285-03
010-13285-03

That would indicate a different cable :x
(Click on compatibe devices)
Last edited by FrankB on Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Some corrections:
Zumek wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:39 am „ The 6-inch screen is 15% larger than previous models and heft and even brighter HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode.
„ The 6-inch screen is 15% larger than previous models and has an even brighter HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode.
Zumek wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:39 am This device is boud to withstand all types of weather (IPX7) and conditions.
This device is built to withstand all types of weather (IPX7) and conditions.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

The new unit is physically larger, so will not be compatible for those of us with the Touratech mount.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Will they have sorted out the routing algorithms compared to the smaller XT?

To me it looks like a Tread rebadged as an XT.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

On the Garmin web site now: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/867974
No manual available yet. (It's a Garmin, so don't expect much documentation.)

Bigger than the XT or Tread (5.5" screens), smaller than the Tread XL (8").

Possibly the same mount with a different cable - six electrical contacts instead of five on the XT.

The only feature that interests me is "Visual Route Planning." Could they finally have on-screen drag-n-drop routing?
Oop North John wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:46 am Will they have sorted out the routing algorithms compared to the smaller XT?
We can only dream. Instead of my usual use following BC routes on the bike, lately I've been using the XT in the car for local "take me to this address" routes. About 80% of the time, the route it suggests is neither faster or shorter. It has also refused to route through construction zones that are actually open. It does not inspire confidence when I leave a pre-planned route and have to rely on the XT.
Last edited by lkraus on Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

If it will "cut" into the intercom channel smoother to my Cardo, that would be a big plus. There is a big delay going back to intercom after voice directions are sent. Or allow the weather radar to play while moving!
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

It's a classic Internet phenomenon for a new device to be subject to intense criticism before anyone has so much as touched one. I admit to the same tendency, so take this with a grain of salt.

The two things that intrigued me at first glance are the Tread app, because Basecamp, much as I use it, can be a PITA, and the group ride function. But... it looks like Tread is a smartphone app. The thought of planning complex routes on that tiny screen makes my eyes water. And the group ride radio requires a huge investment -- more than $1000 US -- in addition to the cost of whatever comm system you put in your helmet, which probably allows group comms already. So all you get for your $1000+ is a map showing where they are, which your smartphone, rear view mirrors, or eyeballs can often do.

My wallet will stay in my pocket for now, but there's always hope that the faster processor will be a desirable upgrade.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE