Disappearing routes and tracks

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
Bog Dog Jools
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Disappearing routes and tracks

Post by Bog Dog Jools »

Hello All
Years after throwing my old Zumo away because of basecamp, I have go fed up with phones getting overheated in cases, so I have took the plunge and bought a New Zumo XT.
So please consider me a Newbie.
I am trying to copy a route from Myrouteapp to the garmin, and all works just fine, the first time i power up the zumo the route import message comes up, i can import it and view the route, but once the unit powers down the route is no longer there, not much good in the middle of nowhere

I havent got much hair and pulling it out is not doing much for my looks, so any help or suggestion would be appreciated

Cheers
Jools
electro_handyman
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Disappearing routes and tracks

Post by electro_handyman »

Bog Dog Jools
Great Britain

Post by Bog Dog Jools »

Yes thanks I have read this, i think i have the source of the problem, that is the route is downloaded as a track on the internal storage, using the my route app connector. When i manually transfer iit to the SD card it seems to remain, so all good so far just need to try it out for real.
Thanks for the tip anyway

Thx Jools
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum.

Using MRA you need to choose one of four options for the type of gpx file that you want to export:

GPXv1.0; v1.1; v1.2

(There are two varieties of v1.1 - one includes a route, one does not).

For the XT you need to use either v1.1 (Route, Track, POI)
or v1.2 (Route, track POI)

V1.1 contains all route points - Via Points and Shaping Points. But it does not transfer the roads that MRA has chosen to travle. It lets the XT calculate this from the route points.

V1.2 strips out all of the shaping points, but keeps the Via Points. But it also keeps the roads that MRA plotted ont he map. But and it is a very big BUT - if you let the XT recalculate this route, it will only have the Via Points to work with. None of the shaping points that you used are sent to the XT.

Both of these formats also include the track in the same file. Tracks willa ppear in the track app, routes in the Trip Planner App. But you have to import them manually if you transfer them to the SD card.
I have come across one situation, just once, when the XT could not find the routes to import. I haven't been able to repeat this problem - but I will try your method. You may have stumbled upon it. In which case, I know what the answer is. (I found the answer when it happened to me, but I haven't been able to reproduce the problem to test it)
More information on MRA and the XT is here. It's not a complete source of information. But its everything that I know. Or everything that I think that I know. Whatever - it might be helpful.

app.php/ZXT-P72

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.