Why use Basecamp?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
MedicDan
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Why use Basecamp?

Post by MedicDan »

I've seen a few people really slate BC desktop software and opt for using phone apps to upload routes such as Climoto, Scenic and Rever.

What's the big hoo-haa with BaseCamp as to why we need it?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Why use Basecamp?

Post by sussamb »

I've used BaseCamp for around 10 years and MapSource before it. Wouldn't use anything else as it pretty much guarantees anything you send to your device will work as intended.
MedicDan
Great Britain

Post by MedicDan »

I get that whilst at home, but say I'm out for a ride and someone decides to share a route with me from their mobile phone, sends me the .GPX file and I want to upload it to my Zumo XT and follow it – how would I do that?

I'm not being pedantic, but I've seen a number of people sharing GPX files from smart phone apps, sending them to their (or someone else's mobile device), then them sending that file to their Zumo and it loading straight in.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

MedicDan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:23 pm I get that whilst at home, but say I'm out for a ride and someone decides to share a route with me from their mobile phone, sends me the .GPX file and I want to upload it to my Zumo XT and follow it – how would I do that?
You need Garmin Drive on your phone and the phone connected to the XT via bluetooth.
Once the .gpx file is accessible on the phone you either "send to" or "share" it with the Garmin Drive app depending on which option you have on your phone (on my iPhone I must "share" to the Drive app).
The Drive app automatically transmits it to the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
MedicDan
Great Britain

Post by MedicDan »

Turns out I think the issue was from connecting to the Garmin Express on my desktop. I think the XT got it's panties in a bit of a twist so I ended up resetting the XT and all seems fine now.