Strange routing from Basecamp....

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
Exrm193
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Strange routing from Basecamp....

Post by Exrm193 »

Just started to plan a few routes for the year, and Basecamp seems to be doing strange routing.
For Example. From Hemel Hempstead to Carlisle. Fastest route. Only avoiding Toll Roads (M6). It totally ignores the M1 heading North and sends me up the A5 and others to Bolton to join the M61??

I'm sure it never did that before.

Same heading west, it ignores the M4??

weird
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Re: Strange routing from Basecamp....

Post by danham »

Using avoidances is always a throw of the dice with Garmin maps and Basecamp. What happens when you shut off the toll avoidance and instead put a shaping point on the road you want to take to avoid the M6?

I have seen a Garmin GPS try to send me many hundreds of miles out of my way when I tried using the toll avoidance or the highway (motorway for you?) avoidance, when a much more logical route was available. Again, the solution is shaping points. In general, BC and your GPS will behave better if all avoidances are un-checked.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Exrm193 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 pm Just started to plan a few routes for the year, and Basecamp seems to be doing strange routing.
For Example. From Hemel Hempstead to Carlisle. Fastest route. Only avoiding Toll Roads (M6). It totally ignores the M1 heading North and sends me up the A5 and others to Bolton to join the M61??

I'm sure it never did that before.

Same heading west, it ignores the M4??

weird
Which activity are you using? Check the routing and avoidance options. I've never seen BaseCamp take a totally weird route, sometimes it surprises me and chooses a route I wouldn't have chosen, but on closer examination it's often not a bad choice.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

As @sussamb said, but take a look at the speed profiles assigned to the different road types. Maybe the values have changed from the default.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Um, why not add a couple points to make the route you want?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A