how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

I'm not convinced that disabling the Drive App from your phone is necessary to prevent your XT from running Explore. You may need to do it to prevent it from reconnecting, immediately after you have reset the database, but after that, it should stay disconnected.

But I can't verify that. I can try putting my SIM card into my ipad, but it doesn't necessarily have the same functionality as the iphone. But I'll give it a go sometime next week, see if I can see the issue that you are describing.

Does anyone else tuning in to this have an iphone with Gzrmin Drive installed and a Zumo that can shed any light ???

@Peobody @Fxwheels @lkraus @FrankB @sussamb @Stu

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

jfheath wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm I'm not convinced that disabling the Drive App from your phone is necessary to prevent your XT from running Explore. You may need to do it to prevent it from reconnecting, immediately after you have reset the database, but after that, it should stay disconnected.

But I can't verify that. I can try putting my SIM card into my ipad, but it doesn't necessarily have the same functionality as the iphone. But I'll give it a go sometime next week, see if I can see the issue that you are describing.

Does anyone else tuning in to this have an iphone with Gzrmin Drive installed and a Zumo that can shed any light ???

I have an iPhone SE running iOS 16.2 and an XT I bought used. I don't know if the XT had been using Explore. I installed Drive on the phone, then on the XT I activated Drive but not Explore.The XT has not attempted to activate Explore.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
skellum
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by skellum »

jfheath wrote: ↑Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm
I'm not convinced that disabling the Drive App from your phone is necessary to prevent your XT from running Explore. You may need to do it to prevent it from reconnecting, immediately after you have reset the database, but after that, it should stay disconnected.

I use the Garmin Drive app on my iPhone 14 pro running iOS 16.3 when transferring routes to my XT - I do not use the explore app and have never experienced any issue relating to it when doing so or indeed whilst using the Smartlink app. Hope that helps.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm I'm not convinced that disabling the Drive App from your phone is necessary to prevent your XT from running Explore.
It may not be necessary in all cases, but I had the same experience as @fatfeet. And setting up the Drive App with responding 'Maybe later' fixed it for me.
I have a Samsung S9 Android, and a Samsung Tablet Android. Let me know if you want something tested.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

jfheath wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm I'm not convinced that disabling the Drive App from your phone is necessary to prevent your XT from running Explore. You may need to do it to prevent it from reconnecting, immediately after you have reset the database, but after that, it should stay disconnected.

No I phone here I'm afraid
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

just another quick update, I have now sent numerous route/trips/tracks to my XT using my iPad connected via bluetooth and the drive app, iPad is connected to wifi but the XT is not.

thankfully explore has not activated. so obviously it's not a fluke, the actions I took have clearly resolved the issue.
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I was just answering a different comment about Garmin Drive.

I think the initial setup of Drive has changed. in the early stages, once it has found the XT, it suggests that you need to set up Explore, and on my phone - an Android - the option to Ignore that is hidden behind the Samsungs own control bar. You can just see the top of some letters above the top of the bar with the screen display controls. So whatever it said, I pressed that.

Actually this hidden button is on an animated display. If you wait for that to complete, the screen changes and a visible 'Maybe Later' button becomes available.

Im wondering if Drive is the culprit for the difference between what I have seen and what you are reporting. I wonder if once Drive has been asked to set up Explore, every time you disable it on the XT, Drive immediately re-enables it.

If that is the case, then I think that the only way is to delete drive from your phone and reinstall it from scratch and do not be put off from finding that hidden Ignore button !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

hi @jfheath
I wonder if once Drive has been asked to set up Explore, every time you disable it on the XT, Drive immediately re-enables it.
the screen changes and a visible 'Maybe Later' button becomes available.
I do think this is the indeed the case, since I reinstalled drive (on iPad) and clicked the maybe later button, all has been good.

if anyone else has the issue I had, then maybe the first action is to uninstall and reinstall drive app, and make sure the "maybe later" option is ticked. perhaps I did not need to factory reset my XT, but it's not a huge problem.

also a point worth mentioning, the transferring of routes etc has become easy, it is now almost instant with no hang time, until I did the above, there was sometimes an issue connecting iPad and XT, and the routes would not import.

thanks all
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Cheers for the confirmation @fatfeet Glad it is behaving now ! Not having to do a factory reset has been a big benefit - resetting everything back as it was .... Losing the active logs .... etc

I'll see if I can remember how to edit those XT pages, and add in that information.

OK - I've changed P56 now.