Installing purchased maps to satnav

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Kalen666
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Installing purchased maps to satnav

Post by Kalen666 »

I have a Garmin Zumo 595LM. It's got the latest software updates. I have bought maps from Garmin for Georgia, downloaded the zip file and extracted it as per the instructions. Installation instructions are:
1. Goto My Account
2. Select the Map you want to download and “right click” on it.
3. Select “save as”
4. Unzip the File
4. To use gmapsupp.img maps, simply copy the “gmapsupp.img” file to your Garmin.
I have copied the gmapsupp disc image file into the satnav, to the Maps folder and into the Garmin folder but my satnav still cannot show the Georgia maps.

Am I putting the gmapsupp file into the correct folder.
Does anyone have experience in installing purchased maps from Garmin can give me any help.
Thanks.
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Re: Installing purchased maps to satnav

Post by Les »

When putting 'extra' maps on any of my Garmin units, usually from Open Street Maps, I use Mapinstall..
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@Les
MapInstall won't help here as it can only install maps already installed on your computer for BaseCamp and/or MapSource to use.

@Kalen666

If you have the .img file you just copy it to the Map folder on the device or Garmin folder on the card. It should then show and be selectable in Settings, Map&Vehicles,myMaps
Kalen666
Great Britain

Post by Kalen666 »

I do see the Georgia maps in the settings menu. It is at the bottom after the Europe maps. Trouble is when I go to set a destination, Georgia does not come up in the list of countries. Is there something I am missing?
Les
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times
Great Britain

Post by Les »

sussamb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:48 pm @Les
MapInstall won't help here as it can only install maps already installed on your computer for BaseCamp and/or MapSource to use.
Yes.. that's how I've done it, download maps to computer first, then use Mapinstall, had to do this when the latest update for my Zumo 660 wouldn't 'fit' in the unit, but using Mapinstall loaded the maps direct to the SD card.

No Idea why Express didn't recognise the card, Garmin 'help' didn't have a clue either.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Kalen666 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 pm I do see the Georgia maps in the settings menu. It is at the bottom after the Europe maps. Trouble is when I go to set a destination, Georgia does not come up in the list of countries. Is there something I am missing?
Is the Georgia map selected? If so have you tried simply inputting a destination in Georgia?

Where did you get the map from? AFAIK Garmin don't sell a Georgia only map.
Kalen666
Great Britain

Post by Kalen666 »

I got the map from GarminWorldMaps. It turns out I can now navigate to Alabama Georgia. They've sent the wrong map. I've written multiple times to them but I've not had any reply. I've now got OpenStreet maps for Georgia installed. They work..thanks for all the comments, really appreciated.