how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Post by fatfeet »

I have searched on here, when I enter a search I get 50+ threads that contain some or all of the words "zumo" "XT' "factory" "reset"

I have googled how to do it, and it reads, hold power button and lower right corner of screen until erase data screen (shortened version), this does not work on my device.
I have held all 4 corners of the screen while powering up and holding power button, it just starts normally.
think I am missing something.

so I am asking if someone can tell me how to do a full back to factory settings reset please. or point me in the correct direction,

thanks
to achieve, we must first attempt
Aushiker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
New Zealand

Re: how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Post by Aushiker »

I do not know if this helps or not, but from the manual, page 56:

Restoring Settings
You can restore a category of settings or all settings to the factory default values.
1 Select Settings.
2 If necessary, select a settings category.
3 Select > Restore.
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

Restoring Settings
You can restore a category of settings or all settings to the factory default values.
1 Select Settings.
2 If necessary, select a settings category.
3 Select > Restore.
hi and thanks for your reply,
yes I have seen that and looked at it on my device, I was under the impression that this just reset to all the defaults, perhaps I am wrong, I want to erase all my info and settings and start again out of the box so to speak
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

See this page:
app.php/ZXT-P84

That's how I do it
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

See this page:
app.php/ZXT-P84

That's how I do it
thanks for the info, i have read this before, I wrongly assumed that there was another way to do it, I already use the hidden menu, to stop explore loading up. this is one of the reasons I want to do a reset.

when explore is disabled it stays that way until I send a route to the device using the drive app, (I have started using MRA) it then reactivates itself, with no input from me, it then becomes a nuisance when I want to show a track under the route, as when explore is activated this option is not available, and if I then disable explore again, the tracks do not show in the track app.

I have tried many variations of transferring routes/tracks. if I want the track on my device and want it to show under the route, I attach my Mac to BC and send it via cable.

but if explore reactivates then again the track cannot be "always show on screen" or again I maybe doing something wrong
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

To stop explore, I forget the device in the drive app. Then reconnect again, but i skip the Explore. I believe you have to click later. (But never come back to it)
danham
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Not at my computer, but I think I recall that jfheath’s excellent tutorial at the top of the forum includes instructions for killing Explore.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

believe me I have tried all ways to stop explore reactivating, I have used jfheath's method, but for me it still reactivates if I use drive to send routes across. I have even logged out of the Garmin explore website

as I wrote, I am obviously doing something wrong, I will do a reset and try again tomorrow.
also I have deleted the device from the app, and then reconnected, I have also deleted the drive app and reinstalled in the hope that would do it, alas to no avail.

I am using an iPad to do this.
who knows????
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The link that Frank B posted gives 4 different methods of doing it.

I'll paste them here.

Any of these four:
  1. Cold Power off. Power on - wait for first copyright screen (after Garmin screens). Hold lower right for 10 seconds. Erase User Data dialog box is displayed.
  2. Settings->Device->Reset->Reset Settings (or Delete Data and Reset Settings).
  3. Settings ->3 Bar Menu -> Restore (to restore all settings to their default values)
  4. View Map->Speed Button->Speed Circle (hold for 10 seconds until screen changes)->Clear all User Data
I am not aware of any differences between these methods. (3) may just reset the setting without losing your other data - but I am not sure about that.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

thanks @jfheath

I had already looked at your book,
as I wrote earlier, I thought there was another way to do a factory reset that cleared all data.

one of the reasons is due to the trouble I am having with explore, and this thread is almost morphing into this fact very quickly