Traffic cable

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Hay0Rack
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Traffic cable

Post by Hay0Rack »

When I use my XT in the car it uses a GT36 traffic cable. Has anyone tried to attach it for use on the bike.
The cable has a 2 amp DC supply taken from cigarette lighter- 2 leads to traffic receiver module. At the module an aerial lead is also there (from the direction of the power supply). The traffic module has 2 leads in (+, -) and 4 out (+,-, data+, data-). I know I have to use the piece of cable from the receiver to the USB plug but that is it is not waterproof.
The problem is the bike cradle with 5 pins. Can I splice into that instead?
Any thoughts appreciated?
Hayden
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Traffic cable

Post by simoncrewe »

Why not use the traffic data supplied to the XT from Garmin Drive? I have found it to be fairly accurate & some of the detours have saved me a lot of heartache.
Hay0Rack
Great Britain

Post by Hay0Rack »

Only have phone connected when within easy striking distance of home- about 50 miles. When touring, I don't have phone connected to sat nav or helmet as I don't like those distractions. For some reason people want to send me messages or talk to me so I just turn it off. When data is turned on there is often something or other calling for data use and attention seeking- hate it.
I do like the way traffic cable works when in the car though, and I know it works well in Europe, It just does one job only- traffic.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I rarely have traffic turned on - as it interferes with my route testing.

I always assumed thet the motorcycle power cable provided traffic reception as well. Is that not the case ?
There is nothing in the manual that says that it is only the car cable. I sort of assumed.

Regarding notifications to the XT from the phone. You can turn all of those off in the drive app on your phone - or select which ones you want to come through. I keep text messages on. No one ever texts me unless its important and I am out of phone range. The text will come through when I get within range and display on the XT screen.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

My understanding was always that traffic info comes via the drive app. Drive app has internet via mobile, and connected to XT via Bluetooth. So the cable plays no role in traffic info. Only provides power.
Or is this topic about something else?
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Did some research on the GT36 cable. Now I understand.
Sorry.
But why not use Drive App instead, and disable notifications?
Hay0Rack
Great Britain

Post by Hay0Rack »

traffic information comes via traffic cable. That is a free FM broadcast from local radio stations all over Europe/ UK and has a fairly fast "up to the moment" update. It is often triggered by the emergency services as well. Up to date traffic information from "Drive app" still needs internet connection.
The bike cable provides power only as does the ordinary car/ USB cable. The car traffic cable provides power and traffic info.
I am trying to not use my phone/ internet data when on the move but allow traffic updates on the satnav. My experience of the VHF traffic info on the move in the car is excellent and I can see it working well on the bike. I want to hack it so it uses the bike cradle connection which is waterproof unlike the usb connection which is not.