Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BMcD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Track transfer to phone not working?

Post by BMcD »

Using Garmin Drive app ver 4.21.10

On the XT, when I select Tracks > Unsaved Tracks > [track date] > Wrench > Share > Garmin Drive in order to transfer a track to my phone, I get the expected "Sharing items to the Garmin Drive" app message. A few seconds later the Notification appears on my Android phone with the message "GPX File Recieved from zumo XT. Tap here to save or share the file" All good so far....

The problem is that when tap on the Notification in order to save or send the file, the phone opens the Garmin Drive app. No additional pop ups or way to access the transferred file from the Garmin Drive app. Also, I can't find the GPX file stored anywhere on the phone - but that might just be my problem.

Seems like a bug with Garmin Drive and Android 11.

Any solutions or ideas?
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Track transfer to phone not working?

Post by FrankB »

I agree it's a bug. Or at least unwanted.
Here's my tip. Make sure the Garmin Drive window is open (visible) on the phone, before you press 'share' on the XT. Another annoying 'feature' is that once the communication between the XT and the Phone hangs it's difficult to get it going again.
On my Android Samsung S9 I have to go into settings/apps, find the Garmin drive app and stop it forcibly. Often I also clear the cache storage, but not sure if that's really needed.

Good luck.
BMcD
United States of America

Post by BMcD »

Thanks, I did try with the app open and still no luck.

Cleared Cashe and restarted phone. Still no luck.

Next step - uninstall Garmin Drive and try to reinstall...

A screenshot of the correct app behavior would be appreciated, I'm recalling another pop up that should follow the initial Notification.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

This is a PDF I created to document wireless transfer to and from the XT via Google Drive. You dont really need Google Drive to transfer, you could also share it via Email or whatever you like.
The screenshots you ask for, can be found on page 5 of the PDF.
Attachments
Wireless transfer Zumo Xt to and from Windows.pdf
(889.58 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
BMcD
United States of America

Post by BMcD »

FrankB wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:16 pm This is a PDF I created to document wireless transfer to and from the XT via Google Drive. You dont really need Google Drive to transfer, you could also share it via Email or whatever you like.
The screenshots you ask for, can be found on page 5 of the PDF.
Thank you!
BMcD
United States of America

Post by BMcD »

Reloaded the Drive app and the "Send" popup was restored.

I found that after a few transfers, it would revert to being "stuck" and unable to display the Send popup, even with the app open on the phone when I tap "OK" on the XT to start the transfer.

Clearing the Cache seemed to help and did restore functionality. So at least a work around!
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Glad you got it working. Sort of,
Not really a solution, but it can help if you use the track recorder. If you use the track recorder, you only need to send 1 track, when you stop it. And not all the track segments that are randomly created. You could also use 'All unsaved tracks', but that can grow quite large.
BMcD
United States of America

Post by BMcD »

Thanks. I will definitely start using the Track Recorder for trips