Interphone headsets and Garmins

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Interphone headsets and Garmins

Post by alan sh »

Hi all,

I just bought an Interphone U-COM16 to replace my Autocom and bike-bike radio. This is my experience of connecting it all up to my phone and my Zumo 660. You can probably apply this to other systems as well.

So, the situation i want to achieve is to have bike-bike comms with other Interphone (and third party) bluetooth headsets. From my Garmin, I want to be able to play music, have navigation instructions and make phone calls. This worked OK with my Autocom, although the Zumo told me that I needed to control the volume from my BT device - and the Autocom BT device had no volume control.

So, I tried. I connected the phone to the Interphone. That worked and I could phone someone and hear it through the ear speakers. Connected the Interphone to the Garmin using the "GPS" option. Connected OK. But nothing coming through. No music, no directions. Bugger! By now it was about 9pm and I'd had enough.

Overnight I had athought. I was connecting the Interphone to my phone and also the Garmin to my phone. Maybe it didn't like that. I also vaguely remembered that there was a setting which determined whether the audio went out through the line or bluetooth, although I didn't find it anywhere when I searched in settings. I also wondered if it would only work when on the bike (I'd been doing it all indoors)

Next day (that is, today), I unpaired the phone from the interphone. Took everything out to the bike. Tried to phone from the Garmin - that worked. But audio - no. SO, I thought I'd check the audio levels to see if it had reset to zero or something. And there it was - the line vs bluetooth setting. Under Audio - not in Settings. Changed it over and all of a sudden I had music playing and directions coming through the headset.

So, conclusion. Yes, it does work. You need to phone to connect to the Garmin and the Garmin to connect to the headset using the 'GPS' setting. Go into the Audio settings and make sure that everything goes out using Bluetooth.

As I said, this worked on my Zumo 660. For other devices and other headsets, it will probably be similar.

I hope this helps

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Interphone headsets and Garmins

Post by jfheath »

Yes, most headset issues are the result of not having the Zumo in the middle - between the headset and the phone.

Well done for getting it sorted out.

For anyone else tuning in ...Some of the options for routing the sound through the Zumo are only available once the devices are connected and recognised. So depending on your equipment - I used the wired connections when I had the Zumo 660 - trying to work it out with just the Zumo in your hand is not always possible. The menus alter according to what is connected.

Thank you for posting !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Just a small update. I've removed the interphone and gone back to Autcom. The sound was way too low and it would disconnect given half a chance.

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
kernowing
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

alan sh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:36 am Just a small update. I've removed the interphone and gone back to Autcom. The sound was way too low and it would disconnect given half a chance.

Alan
Exactly what I did Alan. My missus couldn't get on with the fiddly stuff. Autocom is reliable and robust :)
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM