Are old maps retained on device?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
chrismckay
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Are old maps retained on device?

Post by chrismckay »

When updating maps from Basecmp to Zumo 390LM, does the previous version get deleted?

My device, apart from maps and a handfull of routes, has very little data stored on it, however I got a storage limit message the other day on the device.

If it does keep previous versions, is there a way to delete them from the device?

I have just deleted the map updates that were stored on my PC the files are quite big!!!

Chris..... :D
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Are old maps retained on device?

Post by sussamb »

First, you really shouldn't be installing maps to your device using BaseCamp, use Express instead. BaseCamp simply installs maps, not all the other detail that Express does when you do a map update. Express automatically deletes the earlier map PROVIDED it was put there by Express and you haven't changed its location, name etc. BaseCamp will delete maps if you select them to be deleted.
chrismckay
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by chrismckay »

Sorry, it was actually Express that I should have typed instead of Basecamp.

So.....every update I have done on the unit has been done with Garmin Express including latest update, am I safe to assume that old map versons have been deleted?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, unless as I've said you've altered their name, location etc. If you left well alone then they will be removed. You can always check what maps are installed by looking in Settings, Map&Vehicle, myMaps on your device.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

With my 590, I've found that Express does not always remove the old maps or installation files. In the hidden .System/Map and .System/SID folders I found dozens of leftover files as much as three years out of date. I made backups of those folders and then deleted all of their contents. Running Express restored the current maps and I regained a couple Gb of free space.

The Garmin (Here) maps have been quickly growing in size as more and more POI and businesses are added, so do not expect to ever have as much free space as you did when your Zumo was new.
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Really? This discussion was about maps, Express removes the previous map. Some other files, eg SIDs, might not be removed but they are so small it doesn't really matter although it would indeed be better if Express cleaned up properly.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

As I read the original post, the question is about a storage limit message, not just maps.

Currently /.System/SID on my Zumo XT uses 1.35Gb , the 590 contains 1.21Gb.

When the CNNT NA map first got too big for my 590's internal memory, I found many files in the SID with dates that were several years old. I loaded them into a text editor (Notepad++) and found header information that showed they were for maps that had been replaced years before. There were also outdated maps in the maps folder, some matched the SID files, some did not. Deleting those let me install the entire map in internal memory and left some free space.

I get frustrated by the many files Express leaves behind. It's especially a problem on the netbook I use for travel. After Windows is installed, there is only 49Gb of free space left of the 64Gb total. I really can't afford to have Garmin occupy 8-10 Gb with files that serve no purpose after installation.