Can the XT search an area for POIs (restaurants)?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 290 times
United States of America

Re: Can the XT search an area for POIs (restaurants)?

Post by Peobody »

If I were to give it an accuracy score for where I have used it in the U.S. I would give it an 80%. That is not bad, but oh how frustrating that 20% can be.

I mentioned earlier that I had disabled the Foursquare map due to severe distance inaccuracies when using the Up Ahead function, well I turned it on and did some searches using the Search function and did not see any severe distance inaccuracies. I am going to leave it disabled and try to remember to enabled it when I use the Search function.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

I treat the POIs on the XT for food places as a joke. Around here I can be riding in a rural area where the might only be half a dozen households (usually out of sight well off from road) and the XT will be showing multiple food outlets located in paddocks or forested areas beside the road. It is only marginally better at identifying upcoming fuel locations.
BMcD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by BMcD »

Try this:
1. Open google maps on your phone and tap the Restaurants button.
2. Tap on one you like, then slide the button menu left and tap "Share" ("Directions" is automatically highlighted in this menu)
3. Share to the Garmin Drive app, it will open with the restaurant address selected
4. Tap the blue "Send to Device" button at the bottom of the Garmin Drive screen.

The XT will start calculating your route to the restaurant. It's easy and you get the benefit of using the Google search/details/ratings.
MotoToph
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Post by MotoToph »

If you are deadset on searching with the XT you can load custom POI's. Also helpful if the phone is just not accessible.

http://www.poi-factory.com/
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 290 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The files I have researched on POI Factory have been a little too specific. The one containing Rest Areas with Restrooms caught my eye and is on my XT but files that I want most are accurate ones containing lodging, food, and fuel. Update frequency is important. The Garmin maps are not updated frequently enough for us to have a high level of confidence that the place is still in business (independently owned restaurants seem to be the worst).

I made a comment earlier about an 80% accuracy score. It dawned on my that most of my serious problems were in rural areas and small towns. Urban areas were pretty good, listing wise. Coordinate wise: +/- 500 yards.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.