Zumo 396 map on MicroSD card?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
slovcan
Slovakia

Zumo 396 map on MicroSD card?

Post by slovcan »

Hi folks,

So, I have the Lifetime maps thing for my Zumo, BUT it started life with North America maps so that's all they will update. On my Nuvi's over the years I have put the new maps and music on the MicroSD card. Had to because the map files had outgrown the onboard memory.
Well, the Zumo has more onboard memory and has my 2 original NA maps and music. Can I just put my Euro map on a MicroSD card without deleting the onboard maps?

If I could find a MINI USB cable, I'd just replace the map in the onboard memory.

Anyway, that was the question, BUT I put the Euro map on the card and, while it works just fine in the Nuvi 885t and my Nuvi 765t, the Zumo 396 immediately showed Map File Corrupted and Cannot be Used.

Now, that Euro map file is actually two map files of different regions of Central & Eastern Europe stitched together. The City Navigator Europe 2013 consists of a dozen different regional files.

So, can the same maps that the Nuvi uses not be used on the Zumo?

Thanks,
Glenn
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 396 map on MicroSD card?

Post by sussamb »

Assuming your EU map came from Garmin you can't copy it across, it'll be locked either to the device or card it came on.
slovcan
Slovakia

Post by slovcan »

Good morning sussamb. Actually, this particular map file isn't locked to anything. It is a bit old - 2014.20, but suits my purpose. I have it on two other MicroSD cards in my two old Nuvi's and works fine.

I unchecked the boxes for the two existing NA maps on the internal memory - one was a Foursquare one, can't remember the other, but I'm sure they were the original ones. I don't think that will make the EU map work, though.

Thanks,
Glenn
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well if they are unlocked maps then they should work but how did you acquire them?
slovcan
Slovakia

Post by slovcan »

OK, thanks. Maybe I should try just for the current region first instead of stitching two regions together. Maybe the Zumo is finicky about that. If that works, I guess I'll have to put my different regions on individual MicroSD cards.

Oh, does the map have to be in a folder called GARMIN on the MicroSD card? That's how I had it on the Nuvi, but should there be such a folder for the Zumo?

I used to buy used Nuvi's for my cars. At one time I'd have 3 or 4 simultaneously. They usually came with maps.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well you haven't answered how you obtained the maps so difficult to help further. Maps on the sd card should be in the Garmin folder, and on some devices in Garmin, Map
slovcan
Slovakia

Post by slovcan »

OK, thanks. I'll try a sub-folder "MAP", too, and see what happens.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough - the maps came on a card with one of the Nuvi's I bought.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Then if not pirated Garmin maps they will either be locked to the device or the card.
slovcan
Slovakia

Post by slovcan »

So, the answer is my map was older than my Zumo - 5 years older. Even though it was unlocked and worked perfectly in my 3 still functioning Nuvi 7xx's & 885, they were older than the map. Well, the 7xx's are anyway. Maybe that's the answer. I don't know. What I do know is the only person to respond said it should work, then seemed obsessed with the origin of my map and if it might be pirated. No help.

I get that I am a new guy asking for help and not a long term member, but, we were all new once. Most probably got here because they needed help.

The solution was to buy a new map from Garmin. Done.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Glad you got it sorted. I'll close this topic