Switching Keyboard Layout on the move

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Switching Keyboard Layout on the move

Post by jfheath »

I believe that this applies to the XT, 590 and 595. Probably the 39x series as well.

It used to be the case that the Zumos remembered which keyboard configuration was set for which vehicle. This is so that when the Zumo is in the motorcycle cradle, it could be set to switch to large keyboard for gloved fingers. When it was in the car cradle it could be set to display the smaller buttons but in full QWERTYUIOP format.

That seems to have changed - I suspect because it is possible to have a number of keyboards loaded at once. Like this screen showing two keyboard layouts selected. (Click the image if you want to see a full size screen shot).

This screen is available by selecting Main Screen -> Settings -> Keyboard & Language -> Keyboard Language

19450.png
19450.png (51.43 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

So when entering - eg a Postcode, the screen shows whatever layout is currently selected - in this case larger buttons. Because I am entering a Postcode, the Zumo restricts which keys I can select - clearly in this case I have entered 'B' and there were no valid BQ, BW, BE etc postcodes, so it didn't allow me to tap the Q, W, E keys. I entered D, and now it is only allowing me to tap a digit. Across the top it displays a list of valid postcodes from which I can select if I wish. Even though its actually easier to just type inthe postcode.

But in addition, there is now an extra key - a Globe, next to the ALT key top right o the keyboard. This only appears if you have more than one keyboad layout selected. It is a globe because as wella s selecting different layouts for UK or USA, you can also select keyboard layouts for different coutnries - as long as you have selected them in Keyboard Settings.

10150.png
10150.png (58.98 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

The globe is now located at the bottom right, next to Done. A tad annoying if you happen to have motorcycle gloves on and you want to switch to the larger button keyboard, that they give you a small button to aim at !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ZanderMan
Has liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: Switching Keyboard Layout on the move

Post by ZanderMan »

Awesome tip! Don’t know why I never tried that button to see what it was about.
Zumo 595 on a 2007 BMW F650GS