Accessing "Tracks" without Garmin routing to them

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
BartADV
United States of America

Accessing "Tracks" without Garmin routing to them

Post by BartADV »

Use a Montana 680 on my KTM, but upgraded to a XT on my new Africa Twin. The problem is accessing tracks is different even though they are the exact same tracks being loaded the same way from Garmin BaseCamp. On the Montana I pick a track, the entire track shows on the map, then I have to figure out how to get there. It is a bit of a pain, but seeing the whole track I can access it from any point that is convenient. On the XT any "track" choosen can only be access from the option of :
"SELECT TRIP DIRECTION" followed by the options of "Start to Finish" or "Finish to Start"
Selecting either will route you to the Start or Finish but will not just show me the track. So even if I am dead in the middle of the track, it does not show up on my screen, only the direction routing me to the start or finish. This is crazy, what I'm I doing wrong? Thanks for any help or feedback you folks have for me!
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Accessing "Tracks" without Garmin routing to them

Post by jfheath »

I am a little confused as to whether you are navigating a track or navigating a track that has been converted to a trip.

In both cases you have to specify the direction of travel - essential for the track trip as it has to navigate the correct way at junctions and roundabouts, but also necessary for other reasons for a track. Im confused because for tracks converted to trips, the direction of travel is required before the conversion is made. I think - I cannot verify as my XT is in the process of being replaced and we have postal strikes - that when you load a track that has been converted to a trip -I call it a track-trip - you get the choice of where to head for first. The start, end or closest entry. If you select start, it will take you there abd then continue navigation.

I'll assume that you have a track-trip. I refer to them as 'Track-Trips' because Garmin also use the term Trip when using the Trip Planner - which creates something different.

These give navigation instructions as you ride and if you deviate, the XT picks the closest point on the original 'track-trip' and then navigates you to that point. That point is movable - ie if you deviate from the suggested line, it will pick a new closest point and navigate to that.
In your situation, it should navigate you to the start, but perhaps it is being prevented from doing so.

Do you have automatic recalculation turned off ?
Or are you navigating off road ?

The XT can only plot off-road if the map has navigable off road data. Otherwise it will show dotted straight lines.

I'll add a link to a page within 'Everything you need to know'. The entire chapter is to do with different ways of navigating, but this particular link is one of the pages to do with track-trips. Use 'Next' and 'Previous' for other pages. Plenty of pics that might help.

app.php/ZXT-P53

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: Accessing "Tracks" without Garmin routing to them

Post by lkraus »

As I understand the question, all you want is to display a track on the map, with no navigation instructions.

Select the track in the Apps>Tracks app, tap the wrench icon and tap the box to "Show on Map".
If you wish, change track color or width while you are here.
Tap "Done", then hold down the Return arrow on the bottom left to move directly back to the main screen. (Don't tap Go!, that starts navigation.)
Tap "View Map" and zoom out as necessary to see the entire track.