can 595 firmware be loaded on a 590 ?

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: can 595 firmware be loaded on a 590 ?

Post by biz »

Hi JF.

No portrait mode disappears when you go to the 595 firmware - not something I miss, never used it. I don't think there are different geographic versions of the firmware either - I'll have what you have, if you see what I mean. I definitely prefer the 595 version though, and on the Harley Davidson version of the 590, the 595 upgrade does all I want and keeps the tone sent to interrupt the Harley audio system when it speaks instructions. My dream GPS :D Only other thing I've done (you probably saw it in another thread) is to customise the splash screen.
RT Custom.JPG
RT Custom.JPG (145.83 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - thanks for that info @biz.

I've just (last night) changed mine back to a 590. I'd forgotten about that facility which sorts the loaded trips into a logical order according to which one you are likely to want next. Why they dispensed with that, I don't know. Perhaps because it sorted the undated rides to the bottom.

Until I get some improvement to the XT, I think I'll be using the 590 or 595 for a while. I'll see which one I prefer now that Spotify doesn't work on the 595, and now I have got used to using weather, traffic, live cams etc.

I've never bothered with the splash screen. Which file is it ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:04 pm
mzeist wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm Works perfectly imho.

Look here for instructions, and more: http://forum.gps-expert.nl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1540
Are there instructions with links that work as they seem to have blocked all the links on that thread?
Links still work, but shouldn't start with http but with https instead..

https://forum.gps-expert.nl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1540
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The linked document has a link to the 4.50 version of the software. The latest version was 4.60. Fiddle with the url and make the obvious change. The 4.60 file is there - I just checked.

Normally, Express would simply upgrade the software, but when ai tried yesterday, Express had changed and it didn't recognise that it needed to update the software.

I suggest you take a copy of your current gcd file from your Zumo, and/or download the latest 590 software at the same time.

I suspect that this practice is gradually being prevented, but Garmin do not say that you cannot do it. What they do say is that if you load incorrect software onto your device, it may stop it from working and you will have to send it back. They will charge for fixing it.

But this method works ok. When you drag the RGN file into the updater.exe, hou get a dialogue box. you have to select USB, and then be ready to press the Ok button.

Before pressing Ok, turn your speakers on. Have the usb cable plugged into the Zumo, and the other end handy to plug into the computer. The Zumo needs to be completely shut down.

Your finger or thumb need to be pressing the bottom right corner of the screen when you plug the Usb cable into the computer.

Then as soon as the speaker ding-dongs, you have to press the Ok button. You have very little time to catch that, so practice beforehand - which hand is going to press on the screen, which hand is going to plug in the usb to the computer, which hand is going to click on ok.
Its a second or two. No need to rush, but you cannot stop to read anything or work out where the mouse pointer is. Have it ready to click.

If you miss it, no damage is done, you just have to set it up again.

If you catch it, and the computer ding dongs again, you can let go of the bottom corner of the screen, but the computer screen display will stop a couple of times. It hasn't finished. Wait until the message is displayed to indicate that the software has been installed.

It shows the old version number of the software, not the new which is worrying when you first see it.

Unplug, let the Zumo restart and your screen will say Zumo. Not Zumo 595. That is correct. All done and dusted.

When connected to Basecamp, BC says that it cant connect. Just dismiss the messages. It works fine. There is a fix for this, but if you keep switching back and forth like I do, you have to fix it each time. So I don't bother.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
biz
Great Britain

Post by biz »

jfheath wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:05 pm Ok - thanks for that info @biz.

I've just (last night) changed mine back to a 590. I'd forgotten about that facility which sorts the loaded trips into a logical order according to which one you are likely to want next. Why they dispensed with that, I don't know. Perhaps because it sorted the undated rides to the bottom.

Until I get some improvement to the XT, I think I'll be using the 590 or 595 for a while. I'll see which one I prefer now that Spotify doesn't work on the 595, and now I have got used to using weather, traffic, live cams etc.

I've never bothered with the splash screen. Which file is it ?
Thanks JF. The XT is no use at all to me, not having a wired connection. My 595ed Harley 590 is for me, everything I want. Splash screen is in a memory region that you can't normally see. It was always said that it couldn't be done on the 590, but it can! :D
biz
Great Britain

Post by biz »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:04 pm
mzeist wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm Works perfectly imho.

Look here for instructions, and more: http://forum.gps-expert.nl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1540
Are there instructions with links that work as they seem to have blocked all the links on that thread?
Links are now updated and working, John.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

biz wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:09 am Links are now updated and working, John.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes. It's always a good idea - but in this case, the link to which I was referring is the one in the document that the link on this site points to. Highlighted in the screen shot below. It points to the 4.50 software, rather than the later 4.60.

You just have to change the 5 to a 6 in the link to get the last version of software.
Attachments
Link Temp.jpg
Link Temp.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 3257 times

biz
Great Britain

Post by biz »

Understood, JF - I was pointing that reply saying the links were working to BigJohnOopNorth. :D
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Too many John's around here !

IT matters not - that link to the 4.50 software needed pointing out anyway - especially since 4.60 contained some software fixes.

Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Tried doing the update from the 590 to the 595 but I keep on getting the message that there's no USB device installed when I see the "system" show in small font and the pling/ plong occurs for there being a USB connection. Using the 4.50 update as I don't know how to get 4.6 as 4.5 downloads instantly when I click on the link.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?