Man, these IQ apps sure are cool!

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Man, these IQ apps sure are cool!

Post by Tom Schmitz »

I'm glad Garmin has this! Any ANT+ sensor that I can imagine and build hardware for or buy, like a blood sugar sensor, a tire pressure sensor, or even an RPM sensor, I can write an applet for that puts the results in a data field or in a widget or in a full-blown app. I could take an RPM sensor and write an app that gives back what gear the bike is in! Woot!

I can even write an app that doesn't use sensors, such as a game, a calculator, or a Chuck Norris Joke of the Day thing.

And getting these apps into the GPS is as simple as loading the app into the Garmin app store. When it is downloaded it is pushed to the GPS through Garmin Express! Consuming these IQ apps takes seconds!

Oh, shit. Sorry guys, wrong forum! I'm talking about what I can do on my cheap-as-chips $200 bicycle GPS, the lower end of the Garmin Edge series. I guess we can't do this stuff with the XT. Even though the XT has many, many more times the processing power of my wee bicycle GPS. Even though the IQ apps are really easy to write and really versatile.

GARMINNNNN! Damn you guys!
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Man, these IQ apps sure are cool!

Post by rbentnail »

Now if you can find a way to delete the garbage apps I never use off my 595 and XT I'd appreciate it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:48 pm Now if you can find a way to delete the garbage apps I never use off my 595 and XT I'd appreciate it.
Just move the App icons around so the ones that you regard as garbage are at the bottom. You'd hardly ever know that they were there.
I have never thought of the Apps as garbage.. There are a few that I think that I will never use, but I can see how they would be useful to other people.

I really like that all of the Apps are available on the same scrollable screen. An earlier versions of Zumo (maybe the 590?) used to have a screen containing a maximum of 12 Apps and you could turn on and off the ones that you wanted. The trouble with that was when you wanted access to one that you hadn't selected, you had to first delete one of the existing 12 to make room for it.

I think that the scroll screen giving access to all of the apps and allowing me to configure what it shows me, is a big improvement.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Tom Schmitz wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:04 am I could take an RPM sensor and write an app that gives back what gear the bike is in!
I could never understand how can one know what gear it is in just based on the RPM. You can be in any gear under the same RPM...
What's the equation?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It has to use the rear wheel rotational speed as well

Engine RPM x Gear Ratio = Wheel rotation speed.

So you can find out what the gear ratio is = Wheel Rotation / Engine RPM

Then compare that with the listed gear ration is to find what the gear is.

You can use the road speed instead of the Wheel rotation speed, but that adds a bit more maths to it. Pi and the tyre diameter and a factor to convert to mph. But it introduces the need for a bit of leeway as the tyre diameter changes during its life as well as during a ride.

Eg
If I look at the rev counter and it shows 4000 rpm, and I am doing 70mph. I know I am in 5th.

If I accelerate hard from standstill, and my nose suddenly hits the screen, then I know Ive reached the red line and i am still in 1st.

And if I let the clutch out and gently increase the revs from standstill and I fall over ? Thats neutral.

:D

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.