FF or skip for GPS simulation?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

FF or skip for GPS simulation?

Post by lkraus »

Is there any way to speed up the the XT in the simulation mode? I'm trying to get screenshots at particular locations on a route and I really do not want to wait an hour to reach that point.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Re: FF or skip for GPS simulation?

Post by Peobody »

I could not find a way but I did discover that if you select an entry point down route, the simulation starts near that point. The starting results in my tests were weird though. One created an around-the-block route before following the actual route. Another started with the bike icon at the appropriate place on the map but the forward progress was absurdly slow.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

On some devices there's a setting in the developers menu, no idea about whether that is included in the XT though.

If you simply want screenshots though select those points as the starting point for the route.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

First, enable screen shots. It is a real pain to realise that you have forgotten to do that as the simulator rides your bike past the point where you wanted to get a screen shot ! I forget nearly every time. You might think that it is clever of me remembering to mention it first then ?
I didn't. I forgot and came back and added it in afterwards !
  • Turn the GPS off Settings -> Navigation - GPS Simulator
  • Browse the map by tapping on it to make it change display. It should display a blue flag. Ignore it.
  • Use the north alignment arrow to put north up, zoom out to find a location near the junction.
  • Zoom in on that point and tap the map to place the blue flag where you want it. It might take a few attempt to get it exaclty on the road. Zoom in as far as you can and keep trying. The blue flag just moves without it being saved.
  • Once you have it precisely where you want it, the name of that location appear at the bottom of the screen. Tap it.
  • A split screen appears with the location and category and arrival time on the left, and a zoomed in map with save/go buttons ont he right.
  • Ignore all of that and instead focus on the black downward pointing arrow. Use it to scroll down the list. Next to the bottom, just above 'Weather' there is an option to 'Set Location'. The bike will move to where the flag is.
  • That puts the bike in that location. Save it (as a Favourite / Saved) if you wish, but there is no need. Just press the back/return button int he bottom left til you get to the main screen.
  • Load you route. Select Go! Choose Closest Entry Point and Start. The screen will start navigating along the route from the current location at realistic speeds.
Note that if the unit turns itself off, it may also turn the GPS on again when you press the start button, so if you are doing a number of locations, it is better to have the XT plugged into a power supply, so that it doesn't turn off. You can only set the bike's location if the simulator is active.

Although you can change the trip data displays, and use Skip and edit route - just as if you were riding - you cannot get the bike to take the wrong road !

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:35 pm I could not find a way but I did discover that if you select an entry point down route, the simulation starts near that point. The starting results in my tests were weird though. One created an around-the-block route before following the actual route. Another started with the bike icon at the appropriate place on the map but the forward progress was absurdly slow.
Mine doesn't do that - although I have noticed it moving the bike in other circumstances - perhaps when creating a favourite with the simulator on, but I can't remember. I'll make a not next time I come across it.

Weird routing with the simualtor and slow progress is often to do with additional maps that cover the same area being loaded and active. (It often sends you on a straight line off road for example), but other weird things can happen as well.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm Weird routing with the simualtor and slow progress is often to do with additional maps that cover the same area being loaded and active. (It often sends you on a straight line off road for example), but other weird things can happen as well.
I don't think that is the case for me. Active maps are
CN NA NT 2023.20
CN NA NT 2023.20 Foursquare
CN NA NT 2023.20 Parkopedia
NA DEM
National Parks v2
TopoActive PS Americas, North
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It's just a possibility. National Parks v2 - Is that a standard Garmin map ? Does it cover the same area as any of the other Garmin Maps ?

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:56 pm It's just a possibility. National Parks v2 - Is that a standard Garmin map ? Does it cover the same area as any of the other Garmin Maps ?
I believe so. AFAIK, I have only installed the maps provided via GE or XT self-update.
Edit: When it is disabled, the Where to > National Parks function does not work. The "National Parks" option is not a shortcut that I added so I think this confirms that it is a standard Garmin map.

U.S. forum members, do you have the National Parks v2 map on your XT?
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I'll experiment more with the simulation mode, but no time today.

The National Parks "map" is standard on the U.S. XT. I use quotes because it is not really a map, it is more of a POI collection. With the XT connected via USB to my PC I can select it in Basecamp as a map, and it will show the location of features within the park (trailheads, picnic areas, etc.), but the area within the map shows no roads or other features. With the National Parks map enabled in myMaps on the XT, these POI are searchable in Where To.
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

Yes, National Parks V2 is installed on my US XT from the factory