Does anybody know the margin for 'hitting' a Via point?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Does anybody know the margin for 'hitting' a Via point?

Post by FrankB »

This morning I did some testing. My conclusion, based on these basic tests, is that the margin is at least 30 meters. That is
approximately 100 feet.
I did not encounter any problem, so to find out when it goes wrong I should repeat these test with a greater margin. But for now i'm happy with the results.
Attachments
Margin.gpx
(105.81 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
RouteOverview.jpg
RouteOverview.jpg (178.03 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Test results.docx
(447.21 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
BMurray99
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by BMurray99 »

Hello, new member to this board.

I own both a BMW Navigator VI device (made by Garmin for BMW) and a Garmin Zumo XT. I recall seeing settings on the Navigator 6 that may shed some light on the margin for "hitting" a Via Point. The Navigator 6 settings appear to be applicable to Waypoints, not Via points, but I suspect the settings may be used for both.

Like the Zumo XT, the Navigator 6 has a developer mode. In developer mode, there are separate settings for the waypoint skip distance and the waypoint skip time. I have been unable to find similar adjustable values under the developer mode settings on the Zumo XT. It seems obvious how the waypoint skip distance functions, but I am not clear how the waypoint skip time function would work.

The default values on my Navigator 6 were a skip time of 10 seconds and a skip distance of 250 meters. I have never tried adjusting those values to see how they work. However, given how similar my Zumo XT seems to function to the Navigator 6, I would not be surprised if similar values are, by default, programmed into the Zumo XT.
2021 BMW R1250GSA
Zumo XT and BMW Nav6 linked to Sena 50S and Samsung Ultra 22
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks for the info.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Had a quick look at the diagnostic pages. As expected, couldn't find the settings mentioned.
Will do another test, in time...
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I prepared a hurried route test yesterday. Hurried because we weren't expecting to go out. Just 4 points - all Vias - placed on the Zumo Xt screen and saves as favourites, and then used to build a route. I thought that I had got all of them on the road, but apparently not.

When navigating, you can tap the skip icon *** at any time to see which route point is the next one to be visited. I find that this is useful to find out whether the satnav is taking me back to a missed point or navigating ahead.

Alongside the 2nd Via Point, the XT asked if I wanted to Skip - I was surprised - on the screen it looked to be plotted on the road.
But it must have thought that I hadn't visited it.
I didn't respond to the Skip request. The plotted route continued ahead.
It continued to navigate ahead on the plotted route. I tapped the Skip button and it was no longer heading for the missed Via Point.

This is the second time that I have noticed these three things in the last few days.

'Skip' showing on the screen - it has not done this for a long time.
'Skip' displaying with or without a name, even though the point appeared to be plotted correctly.
Automatically removing a Via Point from its list if I continued on the plotted route after the Via Point. It would do this with Sh Pts before, not Via Points.

These seem to be new behaviours. But I am having a lot of these recently.

---------------—----

*** The Skip icon is one of a number of icons that can be displayed on the right hand side of the map when a route is active and when nothing else is displayed. I don't think that it is there by default.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Hi John.

Exactly this behaviour I was trying to avoid by using RtwTool. viewtopic.php?t=1868
Also keep in mind our Subclass findings when it comes to renaming shaping/via points. I've written a small program myself for personal use to deal with these issues. I'm not confident enough to share it.