Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

My 1st experience with XT in car

Post by Peobody »

I just returned from an overnight road trip that was originally planned for motorcycle but a cold snap forced car instead. The route was on the XT so I looked at how I could use the XT in the car without a car mount. I found that the XT fit in a cubby in the dash and that cubby contained a USB plug-in. I thought I was golden especially because the short Garmin USB cable shipped with the XT would work. My excitement lasted about 4 hours at which point the XT dimmed on low power (It was fully charged when I started out). Luckily my destination was an hour ahead on the same road so I didn't need the XT at that point. The next day, after charging the XT overnight, I plugged it into a USB cigarette lighter adapter. That also failed to provide enough power to operate and charge it like when it's on its bike cradle. Is this normal for usage in a car?
In case it makes any difference, I left the XT in motorcycle mode.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: My 1st experience with XT in car

Post by Fallguy67 »

I use mine in the truck all the time. Have had it on for several hours plugged into power outlet. No problems.

I can’t say for sure, but leaving it in motorcycle mode may have caused it not to charge.

When I switch mine from the motorcycle or the truck it ask me if I want to switch modes based on where it is getting power through usb or where the motorcycle cradle connects.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Fallguy67 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:15 pm I can’t say for sure, but leaving it in motorcycle mode may have caused it not to charge.
The battery symbol indicated that it recognized being plugged in.
Fallguy67 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:15 pm When I switch mine from the motorcycle or the truck it ask me if I want to switch modes based on where it is getting power through usb or where the motorcycle cradle connects.
Mine didn't. A setting perhaps? I will dig through them.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

The USB plug won't be supplying enough power

I would use the correct USB adapter for the XT
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:18 pm I would use the correct USB adapter for the XT
I just looked on Amazon and cigarette lighter style USB chargers for Garmins show an output is 5V 2A. The adapter I have in the care is 5V 2.1A so it should have worked. The Garmin branded adapter being sold for their NUVI does not list it output. There are also complaints about how short its cable is.
I don't expect to be using the XT in the car very often so my question was more out of curiosity than a desire to fix the problem. I'll revisit it if I find myself putting it in the car regularly.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Maybe the in car ones isn't supplying the full 2A?

I have used the XT in the car a few times with the OE car charger with no issues at all :?
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Out of interest - I have a Samsung / Android phone. If I use one cable it takes a long time to charge and I get a message warning me of this fact. If I use another cable, it charges in about an hour. Same power source, the only difference is the cable.

I suspect that there is a difference in power capacity of the cables - either better quality cores, or maybe using two connections rather than one. I've come across cheaper cables which would not chage my old Ipad v1 - even on a 2A power supply. As soon as I bought a better quality cable that problem went away. I always buy charge and Sync cables - and I have seen cables described as 'fully connected' (or something similar) - which I assume emans that all of the pins in the USB connector have wires connecting them to the pins at the other end. I just looked and cannot find any that suggest that now.

Garmin say to use the supplied cable. There must be a reason for that.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:33 am Garmin say to use the supplied cable. There must be a reason for that.
I was using the cable that came with the XT. It is pretty short, but was long enough in my case. It works fine for charging when using an AC adapter although surprising slow as compared to charging my iPhone using the same adapter. I don't know whether comparing the charging of an iPhone to the XT is a reasonable comparison. Probably not considering I have used my iPhone as a satnav in the car and it charged during usage.

Do you guys run the XT at a lower the brightness level when in a car?
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I run full brightness in the car most of the time, and I plug into whatever USB port is available in the rental-du-jour. I can't imagine that it really pulls 2 amps when running, even if full bright.

I'd experiment with another cable, perhaps.

I use a 3rd-party USB cable which is designed to NOT throw the Garmin into "hey, you've plugged into a computer!" mode every time you plug into a USB port.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

cr0100 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:22 pm I use a 3rd-party USB cable which is designed to NOT throw the Garmin into "hey, you've plugged into a computer!" mode every time you plug into a USB port.
That would be nice. How is a cable like that identified?