Is it the Zumo XT or my bluetooth

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
steve1960
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Is it the Zumo XT or my bluetooth

Post by steve1960 »

…..i listen to the radio on my iphone via the bbc sounds app,when i pull a route up to follow,i got no voice commands,i use a Uclear go bluetooth,they dont seem popular over here in blighty,i got it from the other side of the pond,i did a firmware update on the bluetooth and repaired both the phone and gps to the Bluetooth,got commands from the gps,but it cut the radio out and didn’t go back to it once the turn command had finished,i am unsure if i have inadvertently unticked something in the settings……any suggestions

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Re: Is it the Zumo XT or my bluetooth

Post by jfheath »

No. I don't understand what is going in there.

What happens on your phone when you are playing the iplayer and you recieve a call when the xt and headset are not connected. ie just the phone? If the iplayer cuts out and doesn't resume after the call, the. the problem isn't to do with the BT connection.

But when I don't understand anything with BT, I resort to the old technique of turning it all off.

Restart the Zumo from a full power off.
Turn off any other BT devices that might be about to pair with the stuff that you are trying to get to work.

Then pair the headset with your XT. Make sure that you can play mp3 files through the headset. Make sure you get nav instructions through the headset. Make sure that the sound from mp3 player cuts out when nav instructions are given, and that it returns afterwards.

Then introduce your phone. Make sure that it picks up the things that you want - eg your contacts, call history etc. Check that it will receive a call properly and you can hear it through your headset.

Then do your music and phone call test.

This is a rain-dance that I sometimes perform, and it invariably works for me. And I don't understand that either.
Last edited by jfheath on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correcting the millions of typos that I made when replying on my smartphone

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

jfheath…..good suggestion,I’ll do that tomorrow…..will post the results…..

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

Ok……here we go

Re did the firmware on my Uclear Bluetooth which also clears any paired gadgets,on my iphone 11 i also went to settings,bluetooth on the iphone and deleted any signs that it had been paired with the uclear or the Garmin XT and turned the phone off,i paired the uclear bluetooth to the XT and put it in the mount on my motorcycle,pulled up a route to the cafe where i arranged to meet,i got the navigation instructions and all was well,

so after a few miles I introduced the music i have on my XT,it played the music ok and when i got a navigation instruction the music stopped as it should,then returned after the gps finished speaking,

so a few miles later i stopped,turned the iphone on,paired it with the bluetooth and set the radio playing(bbc sounds app) it played as it should and as I continued it stopped playing when the gps gave me an instruction,then returned to playing,i heard test messages/ emails coming through,but not displayed on the gps screen,

then i stopped and paired the phone with the garmin xt,i kept the radio going and set off again,i got my first instruction from the gps,that killed the radio,did not return after the instruction,put the music i have stored on the xt back and continued,stopped the music and returned to the music after the instruction,

i unpaired the phone from the gps,tried the radio again,it worked ok as it was coming through the bluetooth and cutting out when the gps gave an instruction.

So all is good when gps and helmet bluetooth are paired and all good with iphone and helmet bluetooth,its when i pair the phone and garmin xt…..

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

I don’t know if this will help or not. I have an iPhone 11 and Sena Bluetooth headset. What I ended up doing is pairing the phone to the XT and then the XT to the Sena as a phone, not a GPS (Sena setting) with no direct pairing between the phone and the headset. Everything seems to work good with this setup.

I can play music from my phone, it displays on the XT and I hear it in the headset. I can still initiate voice commands, make phone calls etc for the headset through the XT to the phone.

Took some research and trial and error with different parings, but this is what I finally came up with.
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

Fallguy67 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:49 pm I don’t know if this will help or not. I have an iPhone 11 and Sena Bluetooth headset. What I ended up doing is pairing the phone to the XT and then the XT to the Sena as a phone, not a GPS (Sena setting) with no direct pairing between the phone and the headset. Everything seems to work good with this setup.

I can play music from my phone, it displays on the XT and I hear it in the headset. I can still initiate voice commands, make phone calls etc for the headset through the XT to the phone.

Took some research and trial and error with different parings, but this is what I finally came up with.
Thanks….idea noted,its just been driving me mad,its only when i deleted all evidence of garmin and the uclear bluetooth from the iphone,i got a funny feeling it might be the iphone and gps pairing throwing a spanner in the works.I was on the verge of getting a new Bluetooth set up,possibly the ncom,but i’ll hold fire for awhile,it may well be I haven’t unticked or haven’t tick something in settings,my knowledge of modern technology is very limited to say the least🤓

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

steve1960 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:00 pm
Fallguy67 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:49 pm I don’t know if this will help or not. I have an iPhone 11 and Sena Bluetooth headset. What I ended up doing is pairing the phone to the XT and then the XT to the Sena as a phone, not a GPS (Sena setting) with no direct pairing between the phone and the headset. Everything seems to work good with this setup.

Thanks….idea noted,its just been driving me mad,its only when i deleted all evidence of garmin and the uclear bluetooth from the iphone,i got a funny feeling it might be the iphone and gps pairing throwing a spanner in the works.I was on the verge of getting a new Bluetooth set up,possibly the ncom,but i’ll hold fire for awhile,it may well be I haven’t unticked or haven’t tick something in settings,my knowledge of modern technology is very limited to say the least🤓

Steve
Good luck!!
jfheath
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 613 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

@steve1960

ijust separated your detailed report i to separate paragraphs so that I could get a clearer picture.

The only issue seems to be when the radio is coming from the phone it is ok, but the. when the Garmin interrupts, it cuts the radio and it doesn't return - is that correct?

I sometimes get the same issue with my phone - I play spotify through a BT receiver connected to my living room amplifier and speakers. Sometimes the phone gets a signal to do something else and it pauses spotify.
I wonder if this is what is happening with yours that BBC sounds is being paused. You should be able to check that on you phone screen.
In which case, there may not be a solution to it.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

jfheath wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:28 pm @steve1960

The only issue seems to be when the radio is coming from the phone it is ok, but the. when the Garmin interrupts, it cuts the radio and it doesn't return - is that correct?
Yes….thats it,so at the moment the Garmin and the iphone are not paired,it does what i need it to at the moment ,including receiving calls,obviously i wont know who it is until i touch the answer button on my Bluetooth,i will connect the garmin and iphone and do some fiddling like Fallguy67 says,

Steve
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍
steve1960
Great Britain

Post by steve1960 »

I think I may have sorted it. I unpaired the iphone from the helmet bluetooth, then I paired the iphone to the XT.

The XT is paired to the helmet, the radio app plays through the XT then to my helmet bluetooth.
Satnav instructions cancel out the music/radio, then returns to the music/radio as it should.
I don’t get text messages or emails on the sat nav screen yet, but i think i may need to enable that either on the phone or XT or both,
I need to do another couple of road tests just to make sure….

Steve
Last edited by jfheath on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Legibilty
Steve

Garmin Zumo XT

Honda Forza 750 DCT👍