Auto route recalculation?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Auto route recalculation?

Post by sprint »

Having not used a Garmin Zumo (or any M/C Sat Nav) before I was wondering what the position is with them recalculating a route if you in any way deviate from the original programed one, be it one that the unit had calculated or one in which it has be 'shaped'?

So if you are following the route and for whatever reason a deviation has been made either because it has been force on you or possibly whilst you are following the route you know you can take an alternative section but then plan to pick up on the original route. What does the unit do?

a. Will it just recalculate back the original route selected from where you are travelling?

b. Will it go back to its original route and ignore any 'shaping' points you had made?

c. Have a Hissy Fit and just keep telling you to go back to the point you have missed leaving you without any directions?

d. Or do something else?

I'm off to France in a couple of weeks time with some friends and have loaded some routes into my 346 with and without using Highways and Tolls and some which I have manually shaped (and what a bl****y pain it is doing shaping).

My concern it that there are bound to be some unforeseen changes to the calculated routes and I would like to know what the unit is likely to be?

I believe that auto recalculation is selectable and if so should it be left on or off?
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Re: Auto route recalculation?

Post by alan sh »

It should just recalculate to the next shaping point. But I suggest you try it out yourself before you head off to France - different models may do different things.

Alan
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

I have a 660 and I don't know if the 300 series works the same. I would think it would be the same or similar. On my 660 there are 3 settings for the recalculation mode; Auto, off, or prompted. Auto works like a non-Zumo. If you deviate from the route the unit recalculates. It will notify you by voice saying recalculating. It recalculates the entire route so there could be and usually are some changes to the remainder of the route. You can, however, stop the route and restart it to get the original back. Be sure to respond no to the route to start of route question. Off will simply ignore that you are off route and let you go on your merry way. Prompted will notify you of being off route and let you pick to recalculate or ignore via a pop-up window. I use prompted. That way I am notified of being off route. I then pick ignore and look at the route on the screen to see how to get back to the purple line. An alternative would be to let it recalculate and once you are back on the original route you can stop and restart the route to make sure that no changes will occur later in the route.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I have a 595, not sure if it works the same as the 300 series.

The recalculation modes are as described above- Auto, Off, Prompted. I mostly operate daily in the Auto mode but sometimes use 'Prompted'. I never use 'Off'.

If I'm running a pre-programmed route, like using BaseCamp to make & follow a route, and decide to take a different road, the 595 recalculates based on the faster time/shortest distance setting to get me back onto my original route. It will not change the route in its entirety nor any more than it feels it needs to. Nothing farther down the road changes, just the little section I am on.

If I simply picked a destination and GO, the gps calculates my route and that route can change as little or as much as the gps determines is needed. A small section may change just to get you back on its route or if a long detour is made, the gps may decide to change a larger portion or the entire route altogether.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

Thanks for the replies.

So for clarification:

1. If you just do a simple A to B route with no way/shaped points then with the auto recalculation on it will just recalculate and effectively you are not really going to notice the difference?

2. If you have set any way/shaped points do you have to pass them or will it automatically recalculate or will it effectively stop navigating until you have done so? (or have manually removed that way/shaped point?)

3. When it does a recalculate does it do that taking into account the original user settings/preferences in terms of tolls, motorway/highway settings etc when the route was made or will it simply default to the current settings which now may be set for tolls, motorways etc?