Loaded routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Re: Loaded routes

Post by Dusty ST »

It would be interesting to see anything you spot with the route, I've seen similar before but wasn't sure what had happened.

I'm OK, just hobbling with a (hopefully) bruised foot, and getting a bit stiff from hitting the ground.
Pretty sure the bikes a right off there's too much broken plastic to replace which quickly adds up to more than the value of an 08 Triumph Sprint!
Thing is the driver did appear to see me, I'm sure he looked my way and paused.
I was turning right into a tee junction he was turning right out of, so he hit me side on, he'd only started his move after I was in front of his van - thankfully all slow speed, but there's no avoiding it!
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Loaded routes

Post by jfheath »

Ok looking at your gpx file.

The file does not contain a route at all. It contains a track consisting of 1007 individual track points.

So no Via Points, Shaping Points, Start Point or End point. Just a load of points to keep the track in position.

As far as I am aware, on the 396, you can load a track and display it on the screen, but the Zumo will not give spoken directions.

What you said here doesn't make any sense to me, comparing your post with the contents of the file.
Dusty ST wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:51 pm So on my test yesterday I did the same (didn't need to get petrol ) restarting the Zumo I notice the route now no longer shows the start point, but instead appears to go straight across the first roundabout on my route, and directly to my destination point.
Having done that I then tried turning round in the filling station without switching off and the route is followed perfectly.
So to fully understand what how you are navigating this route, I need to know precisely what you di to start the route.

Here is an example taken from the XT - loading a track and using the track to navigate.

Main Screen -> Apps -> Tracks -> Select Track-Lewes to Bear -> Map is displayed -> Go!
or
Main Screen -> Track -> 2 pin track icon, top left -> Select (the track name) -> Map is displayed -> Go!

After that I have the option of choosing "Start to Finish" or "Finish to Start"

Select Start, and I get a dotted straight line pointing to the track and a solid magenta line after showing the route itself.
5389747.png
5389747.png (297.56 KiB) Viewed 3176 times

But the dotted line doesn't navigate me to the start of the route. In fact it doesn't navigate me at all. It simply sits there pointing the direction to the closest point of the route from my current position, which is some way from the start of the route. The fact there are no roads going over the top of Ilkley Moor is irrelevant. It points the direction and in the bottom right hand corner, it shows me how far I am 'off course'.

5395507.png
5395507.png (269.94 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
---------------------------

I don't know whether or not this is what you are doing - but it may be. I can't even find out if the 396 allows you to select Go! after choosing a track. It's not mentioned in the manual, but it isn't mentioned in the XT manual either !

So if you can describe precisely what you are doing in order to load and start your Lews to Bear at Burwash track, in a similar way to what I have written above (in bold blue) that would be a massive help.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.