Loaded routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Loaded routes

Post by Dusty ST »

I loaded up a route (from MyRoute) and set about following it, Garmin asks if it should navigate to the start or beginning.
Obviously I pick start.
Soon after starting the route I stop to fill with petrol and let the Garmin switch off when I stop the bike.
What I was not aware of previously is that when I restart, Garmin doesn't then follow the preloaded route, it navigates directly to the destination, ignoring my pre planned route.
Trying to restart my planned route I get the option of navigating to either start or destination, the best option (I think) is to navigate to the start point so at least I get the route on screen albeit without turn directions. However I also noted that skipping a way point (that's the start) also navigates directly to destination.
Is there any way I can stop the Garmin dropping my pre planned route and recalculating directly to destination after a power down?
I'm guessing the answer is to add more waypoints along my planned route, then skip them till I get close to my position?
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Loaded routes

Post by jfheath »

Is it a track or a route - do you know ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Dusty ST
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

I think it's a track, exported from MRA as GPX 1.1 which MRA say is track and POI.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You'll have to correct me if I am wrong. I don't know the 39x series Zumos, but I've looked at the manuals for the 390, 395 and 396. I cannot find any reference to being able to navigate a track just by loading it into the Zumo.

For example - three methods of navigating along a prepared 'line' on the XT are available.

1. Load a route, click Go ! and the Zumo will give turn by turn directions.
2. Load a track, click Go ! on the map and the Zumo will keep you up to date with your progress, without turn by turn directions
3. Load a track, convert it to a Trip which is saved in Trip Planner. Load the Converted Trip and click Go !. The Zumo will give turn by turn directions.

From the manuals, I see that #1 and #3 are available to the 39x Zumos, but I cannot find any reference to them being able to use method #2.

So I suspect you may be using method 3 ??

If so, then the following is relevant. If not it is still useful, but it won't answer your question ! I really need more information about how you loaded your track and how you started to Navigate. I'll put this part of the reply in a shaded box to make it easy to ignore if it isn't what you have done !
In method 3, converting the track to a trip the Zumo creates a navigable route from the track. You can load that from the trip planner and Say Go!
This produces a route which is shown on the map as a magenta line and which gives turn by turn direction. But it is not a 'normal' route. It does not have any via or shaping points apart from the start and the end. (Becasue the track that it came from didn't have any).

However the 'Trip-Track' is a special form of route that stays in place and will not get recalculated - unless you edit it.

When you start to naviagate it, and you are asked where to go, you correctly choose the start / begin. The satnav plots a normal route to get you there and then will continue navigating along the Track-Trip magenta line. But if you press Skip before you get to the start, the Zumo has to recalculate the route - becasue it no longer has a start point and the start is the end of the normal route that you are currently navigating.
You've edited it, and the only other point is the end point. So it calculates a route to the end - and your original route is lost.
When using MRA, It is more usual to navigate using gpx 1.1 (Route, Track POI). This contains all of the via points (hands) and shaping points (tear drops) that were used in creating the MRA route. v1.1 does not keep the detail of which roads to follow, so when the Zumo recieves the route, it has all of the shaping and via points, and it calculates a new route to join them together. This may or may not be different from the route that you plotted on MRA.

But thats normal. If you ever press skip, then the route (or a section of it) gets recalculated anyway. Ditto if your Zumo receives traffic information. V1.2 is an alternative, but that format from MRA strips out all of the Shaping points and keeps only the Via Points - so any recalculation will create a route that misses the places where the shaping point were placed.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Don't "let the Garmin switch off"? Have you tried that?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The Zumos shouldn't lose active routes or your position when they 'swutch off'' . They are only hibernating to save power. The only time I ever had this issue was when my XT was brand new and any unnecessary travel was banned during lockdown. So I took it walking with me, and it was doing all sorts of stupid stuff like that. It was only after using it in the car for a few miles that it started to behave normally.

I can't explain that, but it might be to do with having some data in the various files that the Zumo uses to work out routing. Riding profiles, preferred routes .... Just guessing.

Dusty ST
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

Thanks for getting back.
I didn't think it would loose the active route either!
It definitely happened, I'd planned the route which started on some well known roads, avoiding some roadworks.
My route was going to take a roundabout/cross county ride of just over an hour.
First thing I noticed was my arrival time had dropped to 20 minutes away...
I'm going to try the same thing again, and see what happens :P

Without via points I'm unable to pick up the route, as reselecting the route only gives the option of start or destination.
I believe the XT (and TomTom? :oops: ) are both able to navigate back to the original route?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Some people have mentioned it before on their Zumo, but following their thread through I've always been able to explain why it has happened.

Tracks will not recalculate. Ever.
'Trip-Tracks' (my term for tracks that have been converted to a trip) - if you deviate, they will calculate a way back to the magenta line from the current position.
Routes will recalculate a route - usually to the next route point.
But automatic recalculation needs to be turned on. It may be in Setting->Navigation->Off Route Recalculation.

I need to have some more specific information about what you do between loading in the track and pressing Go ! Also where you are when you press Go!
Also - if you can post the gpx file exported from MRA - attach it to your next post - that would be a great help.

If you don't wish to post this on here, then send me a private message - click my name at the top of this post, and select 'Send a Private Message'.
And just create a post and add an attachment for your gpx file.

Dusty ST
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

OK, tried again and had the same result.
Having planned the route, then loaded and imported it to the Zumo, I select the route, before heading off from home, which is about 10 miles from the the route start point start point, I pick the start point at Lewes, and the Zumo navigates to the start.
While filling with petrol at nearby Tesco I let the Zumo power down.
So on my test yesterday I did the same (didn't need to get petrol :) ) restarting the Zumo I notice the route now no longer shows the start point, but instead appears to go straight across the first roundabout on my route, and directly to my destination point.
Having done that I then tried turning round in the filling station without switching off and the route is followed perfectly.
Garmin is set to navigate fastest route with auto recalculation off.
Thanks for responses, but no rush to get an answer as I was knocked off my bike (SMIDSY :roll: ) returning from this test trip out, :cry: I'm fairly sure the bikes a right off, but I'm OK apart from a painfully bruised foot is reducing my mobility to a hobble, so no riding for a while....
Attachments
Lewes to Bear at Burwash.gpx
(38.73 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry to hear about your SMIDSY incident.

Hope you recover quickly and are able to get riding again - assuming you can get a new bike.
Thanks for the file, I'll look into it at my leisure. Let us know how you and your bike are getting on.

At some point ask me about how to make sure that they DO see you. But that is not for now. It doesn't stop them pulling out on you, but it reduces the chances considerably !