Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Re: Routes Prepared in MyRouteApp - Used with XT

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that @fatfeet .
I guessed incorrectly then ! That is good to know.

So with a track-trip when deviating from the route:
The satnav does nothing if recalc is off
It calculates a route to the closest point if it is turned on

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

The big test will be in September in Germany, they do like to close a motorway and give you no diversion to the next open junction.
ahh yes the dreaded umleitung, and the XT wants to take you back to the missed via/shaping points, effin nightmare sometimes ✌️
to achieve, we must first attempt
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

mad-dawg wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:40 am The big test will be in September in Germany, they do like to close a motorway and give you no diversion to the next open junction.
Not quite true https://carryallsatisfaction.com/what-d ... mean?amp=1
fredaroony
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Australia

Post by fredaroony »

I keep getting "cannot calculate route" with MRA created routes. I've tried syncing them through Explore and direct but get the same error

I do not get the error with Calimoto though

Garmin really need to this stuff out as the unit itself is great but the method of routing is pure garbage. I am taking my Tomtom Rider on my trip next week as too many issues stuffing around with the Zumo. I will be in very remote places so don't need the added drama. I really wish they would turn Explore into a proper routing system like Tomtom MyDrive
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

fredaroony wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 pm I keep getting "cannot calculate route" with MRA created routes. I've tried syncing them through Explore and direct but get the same error

Garmin really need to this stuff out as the unit itself is great but the method of routing is pure garbage. I am taking my Tomtom Rider on my trip next week as too many issues stuffing around with the Zumo. I will be in very remote places so don't need the added drama. I really wish they would turn Explore into a proper routing system like Tomtom MyDrive

You will need to explain the nature of your problem if you want help with anything. I know MRA, but have never touched Calimoto. But if you want full compatibility with the Zumo, you need to use Basecamp.

I don't think that you can expect Garmin to sort out problem arising after using routing programs from other companies.

Personally, I regard Explore as being work in progress, and do not use it except for occasional testing. If it is the finished article then it is providing a solution for which I don't have a problem. It may be a better tool for hiking and hand held units, and I suspect that the XT has been provided with access to it in order to provide some off road functionality. The recent functionality included on the mobile app (but not on the website)- which draws 'courses' which automatically follow roads, paths, tracks and trails is nice - or it would be if you could choose which of those to which it should restrict its routing.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
fredaroony
Australia

Post by fredaroony »

jfheath wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 pm
fredaroony wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 pm I keep getting "cannot calculate route" with MRA created routes. I've tried syncing them through Explore and direct but get the same error

You will need to explain the nature of your problem if you want help with anything. I know MRA, but have never touched Calimoto. But if you want full compatibility with the Zumo, you need to use Basecamp.

I don't think that you can expect Garmin to sort out problem arising after using routing programs from other companies.

Personally, I regard Explore as being work in progress, and do not use it except for occasional testing. If it is the finished article then it is providing a solution for which I don't have a problem. It may be a better tool for hiking and hand held units, and I suspect that the XT has been provided with access to it in order to provide some off road functionality. The recent functionality included on the mobile app (but not on the website)- which draws 'courses' which automatically follow roads, paths, tracks and trails is nice - or it would be if you could choose which of those to which it should restrict its routing.
There isn't more to it than what i said above to be honest
1) Create a route in MRA
2) Upload it to Explore as a track and sync (visible in Explore)
3) try to convert it to a trip and get "cannot calculate route"

Same thing happens if I use MRA and Drive on my phone.

Calimoto is just another routing application like MRA but bizarrely they dont let you download the GPX file on phone app

Not expecting Garmin to sort out issues with third party products but they should think about making Explore a real routing solution. Basecamp is not a easy solution while on the road
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You are probably asking too much of it - possibly due to the different way that routes and tracks are used in MRA and in Explore.
There's something about this here, but its been a while since I wrote this, and MRA, Explore and the XT have all had software updates since then.

app.php/ZXT-P61

and the following pages. The whole section is related to using Explore.

Try emailing the route and track from MRA to your phone and let Drive send them to your XT. This is no more of a chore than exporting it for import into Explore. Then try converting the track to a trip on the XT - just to see if that works for you. I find it more reliable to use MRA to create a gpx file and email it using my own email client. I find the MRA email options to be very slow for anything but the first email.

fredaroony
Australia

Post by fredaroony »

jfheath wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:04 am You are probably asking too much of it - possibly due to the different way that routes and tracks are used in MRA and in Explore.
There's something about this here, but its been a while since I wrote this, and MRA, Explore and the XT have all had software updates since then.

app.php/ZXT-P61

and the following pages. The whole section is related to using Explore.

Try emailing the route and track from MRA to your phone and let Drive send them to your XT. This is no more of a chore than exporting it for import into Explore. Then try converting the track to a trip on the XT - just to see if that works for you. I find it more reliable to use MRA to create a gpx file and email it using my own email client. I find the MRA email options to be very slow for anything but the first email.
I effectively did the same thing with downloading the GPX file directly from the MRA app on the phone then using Drive to push it to the Zumo

Will give the email method a go when I come back from my trip. I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere having GPS issues haha
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No need to try the other method unless you want to. IT should be more convenient, but I found it takes a l--o--n--g time for emails to arrive.

Questions

What gpx version are you using to export from MRA?
How many Via points (hands) are in your route
How many shaping points (tear drops) ?

fredaroony
Australia

Post by fredaroony »

jfheath wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:19 am Questions

What gpx version are you using to export from MRA?
How many Via points (hands) are in your route
How many shaping points (tear drops) ?
Hrmmm...ok...I am not crazy but it seems to be working now. I could not find the original one that failed as i tried so many things to make it work. I created two new ones and they both work using the MRA and Drive app on the phone.