I just fixed my Zumo 396 that wouldn't show me any routes to import on my SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
jes126
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

I just fixed my Zumo 396 that wouldn't show me any routes to import on my SD card

Post by jes126 »

I took the SD card out of my broken Zumo 395 and installed it in my new 396. The SD card contained about 30 motorcycle routes that I've built and installed over the last year or so. When I connected the 396 to my computer I could view all the existing routes that are on the SD card, but when I unplugged from the computer and tried to IMPORT the routes in TRIP PLANNER, none of the routes appeared. After spending hours, without success, trying everything I could think of, I came to the conclusion that I had a bad 396 unit. Then, while searching through SETTINGS I scrolled down to DEVICE, then scrolled down to RESET, then DELETE DATA and RESET SETTINGS. Since it said that it will "Restore all settings to default value" and will not delete the maps, I thought I'd try it. Success. After it Reset I was able to view all my routes when I went back into TRIP PLANNER and IMPORT.

I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't hurt to do a RESET on any new unit you buy.

I don't know if this will help others, but it worked for me.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: I just fixed my Zumo 396 that wouldn't show me any routes to import on my SD card

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums @jes126, and thank you for your contribution.

I do not have a Zumo 396, but the 590 and 595 have similar operating behaviours. The XT also shares some behaviours.

I've never had a situation where routes on the SD card could not be found. I have seen this happen with Waypoints / Favourites / Stored locations, but never with routes. It is good to know that if it does happen, a system reset will cure it. A bit drastic, but if it works ....

Has anyone else encountered this on any Zumos ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Great Britain

Re: I just fixed my Zumo 396 that wouldn't show me any routes to import on my SD card

Post by jfheath »

Following on from @jes126's contribution in post #1

I have just been experimenting with another issue on the XT and came across the same situation that he described in post #1. I had transferred 2 gpx files to the SD card in the correct Garmin/GPX folder, and 2 gpx files to the Insternal Storage/GPX folder. When when the USB cable was disconnected, and the XT restarted, the routes that were placed in internal storage were available for import. The routes that were placed on the SD card were not available.

The solution in this case was simple to perform power off and restart. The unit does appear to restart after disconnecting the USB cable, but either it is not the same as a full power off and restart, or the Zumo is required to go through two restart cycles before the necessary file rebuilding procedure has been carried out fully.

After a full system reset, you need to go through the ZUmo and restore all of the settings that you had previously entered. Easy enough but tedious. It might be worth trying the above double re-start before resorting to a full reset.

By Power Off, I mean holding in the power button for 5 seconds until the screen asks whether you want to turn off the device, selecting OFF, and then turning it on and letting the Zumo re-boot.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jes126
United States of America

Post by jes126 »

In the course of trying to figure out why the new 396 wasn't seeing the SD card I must have turned the unit off and on a dozen times. Only after I did the RESET under SETTINGS and DEVICE did it fix the problem. But whatever works....
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Did you do a FULL power off. ie hold the button in for 5 seconds or more and then respond to the prompt on the screen - or did you just press the power button until the screen went black ? Can you remember ?

jes126
United States of America

Post by jes126 »

Can't remember for sure. I normally hold the power button for about 1 to 2 seconds, then release it and the unit turns off. Sometimes I might hold it longer and the screen comes up and asks if I want to "Turn Off" or "Cancel". The dozen or so times I turned off the new 396 unit I probably just held the button for a second or two. I didn't think it would make a difference. Either way, it doesn't indicate that the unit does anything other than "Turn Off", not do any kind of Reset.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

It does make a difference.

I've discovered that when new software, new maps and software have been installed, and if ever I have been deleting certain files from Internal Storage (eg old routes, temp.gpx, current.gpx, currenttracklog.gpx, position.gpx, disabling the link to Explore) I need to perform a 'cold power off' at least once, and sometimes twice - in order for the Zumo to be able to rebuild the files that it needs to work. This process doesn't happen if you perform a 'warm power off'. (Sometimes referred to as hard and soft power off)

A warm or soft power off simply puts the XT into standby mode, so that it can start up again quickly. When it is turned on, it doesn't go through any startup procedures. It resumes from where it left off. It is like putting a computer to sleep, or switching off a modern TV with just the remote. It is always ready to spring back into life.
On the XT, You do this simply by pressing the power button briefly - long enough for the screen to go blank.

A cold or hard power off closes the XT down completely - like pulling the plug of a computer or TV out of the wall. When it restarts, the Zumo takes much longer - it has to go through a boot up process which loads whatever it needs into active memory and it checks the state of files, and rebuilds or re-creates them from scratch if necessary. A cold/hard power off is achieved by holding the power button for at least 5 seconds, until the screen asks if you really want to turn it off. Press the red OFF button.

As I said, their are occasion when I have needed to do this twice.

Its academic now - you managed to solve your problem another way. But the cold power off doesn't require you to reset all of your preferences each time. It's worth having in mind next time you come across any odd behaviour. For normal every day use, it isn't necessary to perfor a cold power off.

jes126
United States of America

Post by jes126 »

That Makes sense. I’ll remember that if/when future issues arise.