Adding Shaping points while on route takes you back to first shaping point

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Adding Shaping points while on route takes you back to first shaping point

Post by Scottnet »

On a route I have 1 shaping point. When I am passed that shaping point , I add another shaping point between where I am and my destination. When it recalculates it wants me to go back vis the first shaping point. I have to then skip that first point.

This can be demonstrated using the simulator

Is this just another odd issue, or is there a way to prevent this from occurring ?

This may have already been discussed, if so please point me to the relevant thread

Thanks
Scott
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Re: Adding Shaping points while on route takes you back to first shaping point

Post by rbentnail »

I think it depends on HOW you are adding a shaping point. I never have the problem you describe doing it by NOT using the Route Edit tool. Running an active route, I touch the screen, zoom in and pick a point on the map, then select Add As Next Stop.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Thanks for the input. Add as next stop is not adding a shaping point so that does behave differently.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Scottnet wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:29 am This can be demonstrated using the simulator
I tried it in simulation mode. The map that was displayed after adding the shaping point showed the change but when it returned to the route simulation the route was not modified to include the added shaping point. I have recalc set to "Prompted" so am wondering if that doesn't work in simulation mode.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Garmin have confirmed that this is expected behaviour.

So that means if you have a 200 mile trip with a shaping point at 10 miles and the you add a shaping point with 10 miles to go, it will route you back 180 miles.

Hmm 😒
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Hmm indeed. The logic of having a different behavior for adding a shaping point vs. adding a next stop is, well, illogical!
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Scottnet wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:29 am On a route I have 1 shaping point. When I am passed that shaping point , I add another shaping point between where I am and my destination. When it recalculates it wants me to go back vis the first shaping point. I have to then skip that first point.

This can be demonstrated using the simulator

Is this just another odd issue, or is there a way to prevent this from occurring ?

This may have already been discussed, if so please point me to the relevant thread

Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott. I gave this a try this morning. I cannot reproduce what you see.
  • I created a simple route from home to a place about 10 miles up the road.
  • I added a shaping point to the route a mile from home.
  • I ran the simulator and let the bike go past the shaping point and then clicked on the edit route icon (which I have displayed in the right hand side of the screen). This offers the option to shape the route.
  • I inserted a new shaping point.
  • I noted that the route was now shorter, than before - the green flag was placed where the bike is currently located on the route. The original start and the first shaping point were no longer there.
  • The new route visited the new shaping point ahead and then on to the finish point.
I tried a couple of other ways of shaping the route. Clicking on the map wasn't one that worked. I could get it to place a flag, which could then be saved as a Waypoint / Saved location.

I'll give this another try if you can spot anything that I am doing differently.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

I don't know why yours behaves differently. As you can see from Garmins response that I emailed you they can recreate this, and say it is expected behaviour.

But they do also say it is suboptimal. I think that is Garmin speak for , yep this is very stupid..