Road Names Missing Letters

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Road Names Missing Letters

Post by carolinarider09 »

Just updated my Zumo 550 with the newest map using the clone process. This time I had some issues so I did it the way I did the first time I tired it.

Formatted the SD card, copied all the Zumo 550 files over, deleted all the files except the Garmin folder, maps uploaded fine and appear on the screen.

However, all of the road names are incomplete when you zoom in. I live on Barn Street so all I see on the Map is B... S..... Any ideas as to why?

Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: Road Names Missing Letters

Post by sussamb »

Issues like this after a map or software update are normally resolved by a master reset
carolinarider09
United States of America

Thanks... I shall give it a try and report back.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Before I tried the Master Reset trick, I took the SD Card out with the new maps on it and then replaced it with the old card with last year's maps.

Then I checked and the road names were there in there complete names.

Two things come to mind. One, I did the download and update wrong. Two, the new 23.20 maps are not compatible with my Zumo 550.

I will endeavor to do another map update using the cloning method. But, before I do that, I might well just try and pull out the SD card and just do an update to the Zumo 550 device using the internal memory and see what the result is (i.e. road names). That will surely show where the problem lies.
carolinarider09
United States of America

I have not independently verified this but this seems like it might be the culprit.

From the link below on the GL1800riders forum

For those of you like me that make your own bike map from the latest releases of maps on your automotive devices, there has been a change to the way Garmin now formats it's maps beginning with 2023.10 (released Feb 2022).

Specifically Garmin is now using a mixture of upper and lower case street names in their maps. These newly formatted maps cause the lower case street names to appear as dots in older GPS units such as the ones installed on the GL1800 as well as older automotive units.

The latest map that I can use on my 2006 bike which has the 5.1 firmware is 2022.25 (released Dec 2021).

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/ga ... at.475557/
carolinarider09
United States of America

I have not updated the maps again on my Zumo 550 but I saw a Zumo 550 for sale on another website. In the picture of the device for sale, it showed the screen with the map and road names were as I stated above. The owner stated the device was updated to CN North America 2023.20.

In other words it appears that the ZUMO 550 will not display, on newly updated maps, the full road name. It will only display the first letter (the first letter is capitalized) and the rest of the name (in lower case) will be just dots. An image of the screen is in Post #1 at the link below.

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/zu ... st-5958914
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I'm going to give this thread a bump. I don't update my maps with every update, usually at least a year between map updates.

So, for my Zumo 450 and 550 going from 2022.2 to 2024.1 the missing letters M... S. (Main St) was a new issue for me. I'm not sure if if it's a killer problem yet, or just a distraction. I certainly would rather see the street names in full. The street names on the "banner" do appear correctly, and the directions that pop up also show the full names.

Is there any chance/rumor that this will get corrected by either a firmware update or a future map update?

If I wanted to download an older map version to restore street names to my 450 and 550, is this possible to get from Garmin? I really don't want to devote an addition 6GB of disk space to hold another map.

The skeptic in me says this was at least partially done with an eye towards retiring these old devices.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Unless you deleted them, you should still have the 2022 ver maps on your PC that you can re-install to your 550.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

electro_handyman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:47 am Unless you deleted them, you should still have the 2022 ver maps on your PC that you can re-install to your 550.
Yeah, pretty much the first thing that I do after confirmation that the maps are loaded is delete the old maps. Any other option?
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
1WheelDrive
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by 1WheelDrive »

Came to this forum looking for the solution to this problem. Doesn’t sound like there is one, besides rolling back to the 2020 maps, which I’m willing to do if I can get ahold of a copy of them. I deleted the maps off of my PC a long time ago. Does anyone know of a legitimate source for old mapsets? Searched around at Garmin and don’t see anything.