Garmin Explore app

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
phenderson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Garmin Explore app

Post by phenderson »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the android and iOS versions of Garmin Explore?
I ask as I have an iPhone and a Samsung tablet. If I create routes etc on one, will it show identically on the other? And are there likely to be any gotchas?

Thanks
Philip
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Explore app

Post by Stu »

I can't see there being any differences to be honest as explore seems to be a browser that takes you online to everything so all routing would be done online
phenderson
Great Britain

Post by phenderson »

Thanks for your reply Stu
I hadn't realised the apps are basically Web interfaces. It stands to reason they are identical then.

Cheers
Philip
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That is correct. Ios, android, website, Xt all access the same data. Change a route on one device and at the next synch, the other devices will pick up the change.

The web interface doesn't have the magnet tool for plotting courses that stick to roads, tracks and footpaths. Android and ios do have the magnet tool, but they are implemented slightly differently. The XT doesn't show courses - they have to be converted to either a track or a route.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
phenderson
Great Britain

Post by phenderson »

Thanks for your reply John.

I'm trying to find an easy way to create routes when away without taking a laptop and power brick. Phones and tablets charge over USB. I would prefer to use Basecamp, but that requires a laptop.

Explore at first sight should be an ideal candidate yet it is very annoying as you cannot specify staying on tarmac. Creating a route will often plan to send you down a footpath (as documented in other posts on this forum). Plus you cannot see if the route is on a road or footpath once the route line is drawn - difficult enough in my local (known) area, but when travelling I wouldn't have a clue. I did think that once transferred to the XT and converted to a trip, the route would be recalculated using the parameters set, e.g Motorcycle - Faster Time. On a local test route created in Explore (on my phone) it calculated to send me down a narrow footpath and over a pedestrian bridge. Converting it to a trip on the XT I got a "The track violates routing restrictions for driving on roads. Calculate an alternative route to avoid restrictions?" I answered Yes, it recalculated but still planned to send me on the same illogical route.
So not much use.

Any suggestions on a work flow to create routes for the XT while away without a laptop would be helpful.

I'm also a cyclist and have a GPS cycling computer. I can very easily create a route on an independent phone app (also with a Web portal) and save it. My cycle computer draws down from the web the route and works perfectly. It's so simple and reliable. It's a shame it can't be that straight forward. I know it is more involved with greater number of parameters, but...

On a separate note, can I say a huge thank you for your extensive instructions 'Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything That You Need To Know'. This has been so helpful to me in understanding how the XT works. Your instructions are very clear and readable. It must have taken you hours, I know as I've written technical instructions in the past. You do mention a PDF version if PM'd with a polite request, but I havn't posted enough on this forum to qualify to PM yet.

Anyway, thanks everyone on this forum.
Philip
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Check out Myrouteapp.com

You can transfer routes from a mobile or tablet
phenderson
Great Britain

Post by phenderson »

Lots of folk talk about MyRouteApp. I think I'm going to have to dive in and give it a try.
Thanks
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

phenderson wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:47 pm Lots of folk talk about MyRouteApp. I think I'm going to have to dive in and give it a try.
Thanks
it does what you require and you can try it for free before you decide if you want to unlock the other features
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

MRA is quite good now that they have started catering for Garmin Users.

It will produce a track exactly as you plot it on the map, which is great. The route however is sent to the Zumo as just a sequence of via points and shaping points. The Zumo will perform the calculation of the route between those points when you load it - but with the XT you have to get used to that, as it will recalcuate you route at the drop of a hat given half a chance.

Having been a long time advocate of how useful Basecamp is for planning routes, Earlier this year I bought a lifetime licence for MRA - because it was on offer. I'd had an account for a couple of years, but hadn't bought it. I think the offer was for people like me. I still use Basecamp, mainly because I am still trying to find out how to get the best from the XT, and I don't want to introduce new variables. But there will come a time ....

I really like the fact that I can email the route direct to my smartphone (I use a PC), to be picked up by drive. On the Ipad I can send it to Drive directly. Drive sends the route to the XT automatically.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.