Will custom POIs appear in "Up ahead" function?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Will custom POIs appear in "Up ahead" function?

Post by Peobody »

While on my last trip I would have liked to have been able to find out how far the next rest area was. I found a rest area POI file on POI-Factory, installed it, and am now trying to figure out how best to use it. Ideally, I would like to be able to use the "Up Ahead" function on the XT. I figured out how to add a custom search item to the list of "Up Ahead" categories so added "Rest Area". It works in simulation mode but displays two entries for the same rest area. I don't know if those entries are being pulled from that custom POI file, an installed map, or both. I would appreciate an explanation of how this works from anyone who knows.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Will custom POIs appear in "Up ahead" function?

Post by jfheath »

I've not used POIs since I first experimented with pre recorded audible alerts years back in 2010.

However, the use of Via Points may give yo what you want.

The can be made to appear in the trip data display - on the right hand side of a landscape oriented XT - and will give you the options of
Distance to next Via
ETA for next via
Time to reach next Via.

All 4 'buttons' can be configured to show any of the different data items. All updated in real time.
nb different settings are retained for car/ motorcycle / and for when a route isn't active - so you have to set it up when you have a route loaded and running.

I use Vias for my stopping places ( actually the road after my stopping places), so that my pillion can always see this information.

An example screen showing such information is shown here
app.php/ZXT-P31

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Via's aren't the answer in this case. A rest area (restroom stop) is rarely a planned stop so creating a Via for every one along the route is impractical.

The custom POI file I installed from POI-Factory is Rest Areas with Restrooms. My hope was that the custom Up Ahead search parameter of "Rest Room" would search that file, especially after seeing it produce two results for the same rest area. In fact, I thought both results were coming from the custom POI file because I had never previously seen a rest area as a POI. The only way I could think of to confirm this was to remove the custom POI file and run my simulation again. Guess what, both results were produced again. I have learned two things.
1. One of the maps on my XT contains rest areas as POIs so having them in the Up Ahead toolbox should come in handy.
2. A custom POI file does not get searched by the Up Ahead function of the XT.
I am confident that the custom POI file was successfully installed because the alert I assigned during its installation gets triggered during the simulation.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The only times that I have needed anything like this - typically fuel and cafes - I have used the search facility within categories. It will search along the current route and display a list of likely candidates in proximity order and give a distance and direction arrow. The list updates as you ride along. In the case of cafes it gave the cafe name (and I think the address in smaller letters). In the case of fuel, it gave the brand name - Eg Texaco. You can just leave the display updating as you drive along, or scroll down, find one you want to head for, and it will add select it as a destination or just add it to the route.

I'm not a fan of the up ahead places. You can have three categories turned on - no more, no less - and they can completely clutter the screen with those large icons. I haven't tried it with the Explore features enabled. Those icons may be better.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

They show on the map but not sure on if they show on up ahead it's something I would be interested to know myself if it shows or not
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:16 am I'm not a fan of the up ahead places. You can have three categories turned on - no more, no less - and they can completely clutter the screen with those large icons. I haven't tried it with the Explore features enabled. Those icons may be better.
Someone on the POI-Factory forum also mentioned the large icons but I have never seen them. I use the "Restaurants" one most often (it must labeled "Cafes" in the UK version) but also have used the "Gas Stations" one. You mentioned that you have used the search facility within categories. Do you mean tapping one of the categories? That is what I do and it then behaves as you described.

The XT (U.S.) has the "Up Ahead" categories of "Restaurants", "Gas Stations", and "Motorcycle Locations" enabled by default. It was rewarding to discover that you can add a custom search criteria (I added "Rest Area") and then enable it in place of any of the others when I want it.

I wonder why I don't see the large icons. Zoom level? The way I use it? (I hit the three vertical dots button at bottom right and then select "Up Ahead")
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:28 pm They show on the map but not sure on if they show on up ahead it's something I would be interested to know myself if it shows or not
In my simulation testings of a rest area custom POI file they did not show up in proximity listing of candidates produced by Up Ahead with a search criteria of "Rest Area". Only rest areas contained in an installed map were listed. This was determined by comparing the listing with and without the custom POI file installed.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:41 pm
Stu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:28 pm They show on the map but not sure on if they show on up ahead it's something I would be interested to know myself if it shows or not
In my simulation testings of a rest area custom POI file they did not show up in proximity listing of candidates produced by Up Ahead with a search criteria of "Rest Area". Only rest areas contained in an installed map were listed. This was determined by comparing the listing with and without the custom POI file installed.
I mean when navigating mine show as a white flag
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Sorry. I misunderstood. I haven't navigated with a custom POI file installed. I have only run some simulation tests.
wiscocyclist
United States of America

Post by wiscocyclist »

The short answer 'No"

The better answer is "yes" if you do a "Where to"
Hit the Blue button at the top and change to "My active route"
"Custom POI's" (I have mine moved to the top of the list)
Select the POI you wish to search on

That will show any custom POI in that category (mine are broken up by categories, i.e. files that I pushed, each file is a category) that is along your route

Mike