Unable to see route and track together

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Unable to see route and track together

Post by rbentnail »

Fxwheels wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:38 am That should be right, however, it still has to stick to your shaping points after the detour. (Providing it's smart enough to know where it ends).
Yes, the track is your friend.
If only I could figure out how to do this. I still cannot see a track unless I zoom way, WAY in and then I can't follow it because I'm zoomed way WAY in.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Unable to see route and track together

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:37 am
If only I could figure out how to do this. I still cannot see a track unless I zoom way, WAY in and then I can't follow it because I'm zoomed way WAY in.
Hi Russ. The method is different depending on whether or not you have set up your XT to use Garmin EXPLORE.

If you have not set up EXPLORE on the XT then here is how to show a track on the screen.

app.php/ZXT-P57

Showing the track if you have Explore set up is on the next page. P58

Finding out whether you have or have not set up EXPLORE is on the previous page. P56. This page also shows you how to set it up, and how to get rid of it if you have set it up.

If the route lies on top of the track, then you cannot see the track underneath unless you edit a theme to make the track wider than the route. I can send you the one that I use if you wish.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:37 am If only I could figure out how to do this. I still cannot see a track unless I zoom way, WAY in and then I can't follow it because I'm zoomed way WAY in.
Just to be clear, I don't see the track when riding the route and following the route line. The track line only becomes visible when the route gets recalculated in such a way that it no longer follows the original route. You will then see the new route line going one way and the track line going another.

Steps are:
1. Apps > Tracks
2. Select the Track then tap the Spanner
3. Set the Color ( I agree with @jfheath that black is best)
4. Set the track width to widest
5. Check the "Show on Map" option
6. Tap the "Done" button. (Never select "Go")
7. Tap the return button multiple times until back to the home screen.

To see the results, click "View Map". The track line will be clearly visible on the map. It will stay there until you go back to Tracks and un-check that "Show on Map" option or delete that Track.

When you load that route, the route line will cover the track line.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:57 am 3. Set the Color ( I agree with @jfheath that black is best)
I use red color. You just can't miss it if it's deviates.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:57 am
Just to be clear, I don't see the track when riding the route and following the route line. The track line only becomes visible when the route gets recalculated in such a way that it no longer follows the original route. You will then see the new route line going one way and the track line going another.
Just to be clear, as I have said over and over......

What you say is exactly what I am NOT seeing unless I zoom way in, like 80ft. in. If I zoom out to a normal level the track cannot be seen.

Let me put this another way- when I deviate from the route and the device recalculates, the track line is not there unless I press +,+,+,+,+ to a ridiculously small scale, then I can see it. At a normal scale level the track cannot be seen. I have checked and rechecked- Widest is selected, Show On Map box is ticked. It doesn't matter what color I select, they all behave the same.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Just to be even more clear:

You create a route in a basecamp.
You create a track off of it.
You change the route a bit but leave the track as it was.
Now you see the track and the route are not in sync.
You upload both to the XT.

You open the route in XT but don't see the track when they disagree. Only when zooming in you can see the track.

If that's the case you have a defective unit.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have given up with trying to get help via the contact I had at Garmin product support. After claiming no reports of the issues I brought up, they then deflected by saying I should be using Explore. I asked what Explore had to do with recalc issues and they replied that I needed to create a route in the XT and then see if it also exhibited the recalc issue. Who cares if it doesn't. There is a problem if the XT can't handle a route created in Basecamp. It looks like we're on our own.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:53 pm Let me put this another way- when I deviate from the route and the device recalculates, the track line is not there unless I press +,+,+,+,+ to a ridiculously small scale, then I can see it. At a normal scale level the track cannot be seen. I have checked and rechecked- Widest is selected, Show On Map box is ticked. It doesn't matter what color I select, they all behave the same.
What theme are you using? I tested modifying a theme and saw that the track width could be impacted by a mod to a theme so wonder if you are using a theme that has the track width configured to a very small setting. I am using the Garmin theme.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:10 pm
rbentnail wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:53 pm Let me put this another way- when I deviate from the route and the device recalculates, the track line is not there unless I press +,+,+,+,+ to a ridiculously small scale, then I can see it. At a normal scale level the track cannot be seen. I have checked and rechecked- Widest is selected, Show On Map box is ticked. It doesn't matter what color I select, they all behave the same.
What theme are you using? I tested modifying a theme and saw that the track width could be impacted by a mod to a theme so wonder if you are using a theme that has the track width configured to a very small setting. I am using the Garmin theme.
I am using the Garmin theme that came on the device. it has not been modified.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:53 pm

What you say is exactly what I am NOT seeing unless I zoom way in, like 80ft. in. If I zoom out to a normal level the track cannot be seen.

Let me put this another way- when I deviate from the route and the device recalculates, the track line is not there unless I press +,+,+,+,+ to a ridiculously small scale, then I can see it. At a normal scale level the track cannot be seen. I have checked and rechecked- Widest is selected, Show On Map box is ticked. It doesn't matter what color I select, they all behave the same.
Russ - is this resolved ? With normal map themes the route overlays the track. You can just about make out the track peeping out from the side of the route - if you look very carefully, if you have a contrasting colour - and then only sometimes, if you are lucky. If the route deviates then the track becomes very obvious.
Changing the width in the track settings makes very little difference because the width of the track never exceeds the width of the magenta route.

A screen shot of what you are seeing before the route is loaded (ie showing the track), and just after you have started the route might help us to work out an answer for you.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.