Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

XT sounds speed alerts even though driver alerts are off

Post by Peobody »

Today was my first day riding a Basecamp planned route with my warranty replaced XT. I posted early about my frustration with an undetected unpaved road and a re-route issue but I forgot to mention that it repeatedly produced a double ding alert. I finally discovered that the dinging stopped when I slowed down so it must have been related to speed. All driver alerts on the XT are turned off. What am I missing that allowed these alerts to sound?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: XT sounds speed alerts even though driver alerts are off

Post by JS_racer »

there is an option to disable the speed warning in the later firmware
(helped a friend with the same thing last month, i don't use a headset, so I never hear mine)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I do not have the Driver Assistance > Speeding Alert or Reduced Speed Tone options enabled nor any of the Rider Alerts. I can't find any other option that would apply. I wonder if the XT has a built-in speed alert at +15 MPH that can't be disabled. In my case, it happened when I hit 50 in a 45 zone that the XT identified as 35 and twice in school zones on a holiday when those speed zones did not apply.
jcp
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by jcp »

I was going to post up that my XT did not do this. BUT.....just got back from a 200 mile ride (first one since the latest update) and my Zumo now does this too. I can only suppose that the "people" at Garmin think we need this.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I'm glad someone else has experienced it. I would be fine with a fixed +15 MPH alert if map data was accurate. Surely the developers at Garmin know that this is not, and never can be the case. Speed limits around me change with surprising frequency. Worse though is the road near me that has the two westbound lanes marked as 45 and the two eastbound lanes marked as 55. I am now curious what the XT shows on these stretches. I hope to remember to ride both ways the next time I am out.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

Peobody wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:58 am I do not have the Driver Assistance > Speeding Alert or Reduced Speed Tone options enabled nor any of the Rider Alerts. I can't find any other option that would apply. I wonder if the XT has a built-in speed alert at +15 MPH that can't be disabled. In my case, it happened when I hit 50 in a 45 zone that the XT identified as 35 and twice in school zones on a holiday when those speed zones did not apply.
strange, it was reduced speed tone that fixed his. (early june)
sorry for not being more help.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've not encountered this, and I won't be going out to test it. I stick to the speed limits.
But there are a few around here that are still incorrect. When I find one that used to be NSL and is now 40mph, I'll check it out.

Be aware that the settings for speed alerts in the XT are set separately for Car, motorcycle and off road.

If no route is running, the XT will use the setting for the vehicle that is shown in the icon on the top bar on the main page. That icon can change without you noticing if you have loaded a route for a different vehicle.

If a route is running, the XT will use the settings for the vehicle that is specified in the route. So if the route specifies a car, it will use the Driver Assitant settings in the XT for a car.

** (The XT recognises routes only for car and motorcycle). If the route specifies anything else (off Road, Bicycle, Custom, etc) the XT defaults to the settings for motorcycle.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I know that I have never switched this XT to Car mode so was surprised to discover that its Driver Assistance settings were the same as set in Motorcycle mode so I know that speed alert wasn't the result of being in Car mode by mistake. I confirmed that the Speed Alert setting is unique to each mode, as is any setting in Rider Alerts. The rest of the Driver Assistance setting are shared between both modes. I was flabbergasted to see the Helmet Guide enabled in Car mode. Come on Garmin!

Regarding the unwanted speed alert, I admit to being a 5 over guy, conditions permitting. As such, I choose to disable audible speed alerts. The second report of a speed alert when it was disabled is of concern. I don't want anyone going out and doing 15 over just to test this. I would however like to know whether speed alerts are not working correctly or whether Garmin programmed in a speed alert that can't be disabled.