All music shows unknown singer and album or track

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

All music shows unknown singer and album or track

Post by Thrasherg »

I had a quick search and found a few suggestions, but nothing has helped, so hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.
I have all my home music on my PC (running windows 10 with the latest updates), I use iTunes for my music which uses MP4 files. I selected the songs that I wanted on my GPS and then told iTunes to convert them to MP3. I then created a top level directory called Music, and inside that directory I created a directory for each artist, then under each artist I created a directory with the name of the albums and I then put all the MP3 files in the appropriate album directory. I then selected each file and right clicked to select properties, then looked in the details tab, and each song has the name of the artist, name of the album and the track number. So I assumed everything is good.

I then opened the XT device, and then double clicked on the Internal storage folder, then the MP3 folder. I then copied all the artist folders to the MP3 folder. I then started the XT up and selected the music player, selected browse and selected the path to my mp3 files. The XT now sees all my music, but it just lists all the songs alphabetically, the artist is unknown (for every song) the album is unknown (for every song), etc.. It took me quite a while, any idea why the XT is not recognizing the artist info and album info from the MP3 file properties or even from the directory name structure that I have created? It plays the music but I would really like to play it by artist or album. I just selected the mp3 file on the XT internal storage and selected properties and it only has a general and Details tab, and neither of them have the artist name or album name (or track number), but when i copy the file back to my PC all that information is present again!! Not sure if this is the cause, it seems the XT is somehow not recognizing the information!!

Thanks for any suggestions? Maybe I should be importing the music differently to get it to recognize the artist and album info?

Regards Gary
PhillH
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: All music shows unknown singer and album or track

Post by PhillH »

Do a search for a program called MP3Tag which is freeware
I use that to assign the album name artist etc and the XT recognises it.
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: All music shows unknown singer and album or track

Post by Thrasherg »

Many thanks Phil, that program was really easy to use and very quick, the XT now recognizes all the artists and songs..

Really grateful..

Regards Gary