XT recaulates route on shutdown and startup

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

XT recaulates route on shutdown and startup

Post by Scottnet »

Is it just me or is the following very odd behaviour ( even for the XT)

When I start a route it calculates just to the nearest starting point. That is correct and the route looks fine when I view this overlaid on my intended track
When during the trip the Garmin powers off and back on ( eg when you stop for fuel) it seems to recalculate the entire route. So because of the rubbish routing of the device I end up with some very odd route, taking me to every town on the way .

My auto recalculate options is set to off
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: XT recaulates route on shutdown and startup

Post by jfheath »

I haven't noticed this. I have noted that for some reason, the route has recalculated, but I have not yet found out precisely when it does it.
This may be the answer. Or at least one of them.

I will re-visit it this when I get the chance. (Done that - see post below).

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Thanks. I am pretty sure this is the case.

I also tried creating a trip from a track in an effort to keep it the same. Initially it looked fine. However when I turned the XT off and on it recalculated the entire route ignoring the track.!
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

I have the same problem
I fairly certain On my old 590 it just resumed from where you stoped
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Don't let the XT shut down when you are stopping during a trip. Instead, hit the "Cancel" button at the notice about external power being lost. It will go to sleep (display timeout) if it is without power long enough but that is fine. Once it receives power again it wakes up right where it left off.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok, I have checked my XT.

When a route is loaded and running, it always resumes that particular route when the XT is turned on again.

I tried it with soft power off, hard power off (long press of power switch).
I tested it with a USB power source (car mode), by turning off with the button and also by removing the power.
I tested it in the motorcycle cradle with power button and by removing the power (turning ignition off).
When removing the power, I tried it by pressing cancel and also by letting it try to update (I don't allow wireless update), and then turning itself off.
In all cases when powered by the USB socket or by the cradle, when it turns off, it only goes into standby. I can tell this because it starts up pretty quickly without showing the progress bar.

So your behaviour seems to be very different from this.

Some thoughts - I wonder if the battery has enough power to keep it in standby and to keep the internal memory alive when it loses its power from the cradle ?

There are a couple of options for displaying battery and mount status. One is in the Developer Info - accessed by the hidden menu - long press the circular speed button. Two screen shots attached.

The other is obtained by long pressing the battery icon in the top right hand corner of the main screen. When in the mount, mine shows it is int he motorcycle mount and the mount voltage is 3.20 volts. Battery voltage is around 4 volts.

Another thought is that maybe one of the files in GPX is not storing info. Position.gpx holds the bike's last known position - which I think makes starting up the satnav faster. Check if it is there, and if so what the datestamp is. It should be the date/time of the last time that it had a fix.

Also Current. I think that this stores all of the routes, tracks and waypoints that the system has imported. It may store other important power-up info too. I don't know. I do know that Current is regenerated when the device is turned on, probably from somewhere in the .System folder, but I don't know where that is.

I don't think that either of these will be a cause of your problem, but they might reveal a symptom - that the normal close down and start up routines are not being carried out as they would normally be.

I would make sure that the battery is fully charged. Check the two diagnostic screens for the battery. The screen obtained by pressing the battery icon shows a battery state with a number. Mine shows 97. I guess that is a percentage.

I woudn't spend too long on this. I don't think that it should do that. Mine doesn't. But thinking back it behaved very oddly when I first got it at the start of lockdown two years ago. Car / bike travel wasn't allowed, so it was a good while before I could use it for real. Until it had got a few miles on the clock at riding/driving speeds, it did something similar to what you are describing, and it wouldn't navigate when I took it out on walks.

So last question - has it been reset recently ??

---------------
Attached files. Click to see a slightly larger version

52157.png
52157.png (37.21 KiB) Viewed 659 times
51732.png
51732.png (34.29 KiB) Viewed 659 times

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet

Post by Scottnet »

Thanks as always for your detailed and thorough reasrch.

I'm suspect that under some circumstances it does. I have actually seen a recaluclation message appearing on the blue banner.

I will see if I can find a reproducible scenario.