Basecamp

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
FarRaider

Re: Basecamp

Post by FarRaider »

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
I see the maps in the ProgramData/Garmin/Map folder, no? If the maps were excluded because of the tile overload are they switched off, so to speak?

I tried to move the less currently relevant maps to a different folder on my PC leaving the older ones in the /Map folder that I know BaseCamp sees but it still does not recognize those previous maps.

Do you know of a way to "refresh" the installs for that folder? Or is that what you suggested by using the GMTK program? All maps showed before the tile overload.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, try GMTK first

https://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

It should show you which maps are installed on your PC. If you select the ones you're not seeing in the map list in GMTK then select the Extras tab in the top line you'll see an option to clear tile cache. Hopefully once you've done that BaseCamp should once again show the maps.

Note if BaseCamp isn't showing map files on your device use JaVaWa Device manager, with that you can set maps to be visible in BaseCamp.

https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

Hi Sussamb,
I had to step away from this issue for a while but I tried your suggestions over the the past couple of days. Unfortunately, I still need help getting this resolved if you have the time (and patience) - thank you.

So I installed both GMTK and Device Manager. The issue is: When I was installing these maps, they initially displayed but then as I added newer ones the first installed "disappeared" as options in BC. The maps are still in the same folder on the PC as the more recently installed, obviously, but they are just not recognized by BC.
O.K. - When I use GMTK, I can only see the list of maps that show on BaseCamp already but not the entirety of the maps installed on the PC. I cleared the tile cache but that did not change anything except for the time for BC to display the maps.

I also have all the maps loaded on an SD card on my Zumo (which show on the device perfectly) but they are not recognized on BC when the device is connected to the PC. I tried Device Manager but for the life of me I cannot get DM to recognize the Zumo. It will recognize a flash drive plugged into the same hub but not the Zumo (or the SD inside).

My goal, given the tile limitation of BC, would be to have all my maps stored somewhere (flash drive, separate SD or SD in Zumo) then be able select which one I need to work with in BC. Do you think this is possible? I can't be the first to encounter this issue.

Thanks again for any help!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

FarRaider wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:15 pm So I installed both GMTK and Device Manager. The issue is: When I was installing these maps, they initially displayed but then as I added newer ones the first installed "disappeared" as options in BC. The maps are still in the same folder on the PC as the more recently installed, obviously, but they are just not recognized by BC.
O.K. - When I use GMTK, I can only see the list of maps that show on BaseCamp already but not the entirety of the maps installed on the PC. I cleared the tile cache but that did not change anything except for the time for BC to display the maps.
Let's try and deal with this one first. Try clearing the cache by deleting C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\ProductDataCache and DeviceCache

See if you get all the maps back in BaseCamp.
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

I deleted both ProductDataCache and DeviceCache but that did nothing but I have a clue which maybe you can help me understand. I noticed that in the file with the maps, the maps that are not showing in BC have a single blue arrow pointing from the bottom left of the folder icon and these files will not open with a double-click. With google, it seems that these files are compressed - does that make any sense to you?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry no. My only other thought is I assume all these maps are third party maps. It may be the installers are simply overwriting each other, depends how good their programmers are.
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

Yes the maps are from freizeitkarte.de. I'm going to try to redownload one of the ones associated with the blue arrow and see if I can get it to work again. It will be interesting to see if a different map gets bumped off my list.

I do have a couple of more questions if you don't mind.

1) Some maps unzip as an .img and have a grey "CD-like" icon. Have you successfully loaded those in BC or the Zumo? If I put that file in the same folder as the other maps, the Garmin does not see them to install.

2) JaVaWa Device Manager - do you have a suggestion to help the program see my Zumo? I have to use a USB hub as there are no appropriate ports on my PC for my Zumo cable.

Thank you, I appreciate your efforts.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

.img maps should work fine in your Zumo, if on the device in a folder named Map, note not plural, or if on the card in a folder named Garmin.

BaseCamp cannot read .img files from your hard drive. They need to be in a removable drive, like a USB stick, or a virtual drive.

For Device Manager note your device must be in mass storage mode, see the notes on the Device Manager webpage.
FarRaider

Post by FarRaider »

I found this post on ADVrider about the issue I am having with my Zumo XT and JaVaWa Device Manager.
Is this true or do you know that it works with the XT?

"Unfortunately, JaVaWa Device Manager doesn't work with the Zumo XT. JaVaWa requires a device with the USB Mass Storage setting. The default setting on the Zumo XT is MTP Auto Detect, you can't change it to Mass Storage like other Zumo Models. If you tap the Volume Setting on your XT, and then hold your finger in the upper right hand corner, the Zumo XT will diplay the Diagnostic Page where you can change some advanced settings. When you dive into the MTP mode, you will notice there are only 3 choices MTP Auto / USB Ethernet / USB Ethernet Single Session."
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

As I posted above it must be in mass storage mode, I don't have an XT but forgot it doesn't have that mode so unfortunately Device Manager won't work, sorry.