How can I see how far to next food or fuel via point?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

How can I see how far to next food or fuel via point?

Post by Peobody »

My trip planning includes via points for food and fuel stops. When riding a trip, is there a way to determine the distance to the next planned via point of either on the XT?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: How can I see how far to next food or fuel via point?

Post by lkraus »

While navigating a route, you can set the box on the map display bottom right to show Distance to Next Stop. This would only help if the restaurant or gas station were the next via point.

Tapping the top bar on the display will list the route directions, grouped in segments between via points and showing the time and distance for each segment. Please pull off the road before you try to read the list and add up the total distance in your head.

Looking for the name of your stop in Up Ahead will give you a distance, but it might not be calculated along your planned route.

There might be other ways, but that's all that occur to me now.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks for the response. Distance to Next Stop should work if all other points are shaping points. I will give it a try next trip. Too bad there isn't a list like the route directions list that only listed upcoming via points.
jfheath
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Tap the 3 dot menu in the bottom right hand corner ( you may have to close existing displays on the right by tapping the 'X' button first).
This displays other things that you can show on your screen. One of them is Trip Data.
Select this and you get a display of 3 additional items like the one that is permanently displayed on the bottom row. All positions are described as displayed in landscape view).

All four of these data items can be changed by tapping one and choosing from the list of numerous options.
There are different configurations stored depending on whether or not a trip is running, and which vehicle has been selected.

Trip Data.gif
Trip Data.gif (19.38 KiB) Viewed 585 times
In the image above the top two buttons on the right have been configured to show information relative to the next Via Point - indicated by the orange flag. The other two show data relative to the final destination - chequered flag.

This is another consideration for setting points to be Via Points.

As an aside, the display above shows a route where the next Via Point is to the left at the junction ahead, but the route has to visit the next shaping point at Ravenglass first. The data display cannot show data for Shaping points.
In this case, Ravenglass is an optional stop. I can choose to ignore it and continue towards the orange flag, and the satnav will not care because I am still on the magenta route.
This is very useful for the pillion to see the approximate distance to a next possible break as the miles count down.
Having the Via Point just after doesn't affect the milage display much, and it gives the opportunity to restart the route when fiddling with the XT in the cafe - the Via will be listed as one of the next destinations available when you select Go!

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:18 am Tap the 3 dot menu in the bottom right hand corner ( you may have to close existing displays on the right by tapping the 'X' button first).
This displays other things that you can show on your screen. One of them is Trip Data.
Select this and you get a display of 3 additional items like the one that is permanently displayed on the bottom row. All positions are described as displayed in landscape view).

All four of these data items can be changed by tapping one and choosing from the list of numerous options.
There are different configurations stored depending on whether or not a trip is running, and which vehicle has been selected.
THANK YOU! I missed the fact that Trip Data fields could be customized when reviewing the manual. I also have discovered that the data displayed when tapping the speed button contains time and distance info to the next via point.