Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

What are these maps?

Post by Peobody »

My warranty replacement XT contains more maps than my previous one per myMaps. Someone tell me what these are?
  • CN North America NT Foursquare
  • CN North America NT Parkopedia
  • National Parks v2 -Aren't they already in a POI map?
  • North America DEM
TIA!
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Re: What are these maps?

Post by Peobody »

I have done some internet searching...

North America DEM = Digital Elevation Map Cool!

CN North America NT Parkopedia = Parking locations I need to figure out how to use this one.

National Parks v2 = ??? I found a mention of a "Where To? > National Parks" function but without reference to this map. I still don't know what this map contributes.

CN North America NT Foursquare = more POIs? I found this statement on a Garmin support page: "Foursquare is a database to help users explore new and popular restaurants, stores, and more. Certain Garmin devices are preloaded with a Foursquare point of interest database; this adds millions of new and popular locations onto your device. The Foursquare information is updated with each map update." New locations are good but I don't care about popular. Is there a way to tell whether a POI is from this database?
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I think National Parks v2 is just a map overlay of poi within the parks. Hook up your XT to your computer, locate a park in Basecamp while still using the CNNT map, then switch to the National Parks v2 map on the XT. With detail set at "highest," all I see are points for trail heads, picnic areas, visitor centers and campgrounds (if I zoom in enough). The area is otherwise blank, no roads or other details.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 pm I think National Parks v2 is just a map overlay of poi within the parks. Hook up your XT to your computer, locate a park in Basecamp while still using the CNNT map, then switch to the National Parks v2 map on the XT. With detail set at "highest," all I see are points for trail heads, picnic areas, visitor centers and campgrounds (if I zoom in enough). The area is otherwise blank, no roads or other details.
I never thought about seeing what the maps showed from within Basecamp. I will play with that next chance I get.

Do you how to access the POIs like the parking locations in the Parkopedia map on the XT? One struggle that it would be great to find help with is locating parking when entering a city where you just want to stop, walk a bit, and find food.
AugustFalcon
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by AugustFalcon »

Peobody wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:01 pm ... New locations are good but I don't care about popular. Is there a way to tell whether a POI is from this database?
Yes, there is. In a General type search the Foursquare results have a RED heading containing the words Foursquare Results and the entry begins with a Stylized RED F.