Skip Waypoint button missing??

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
adm

Skip Waypoint button missing??

Post by adm »

OK, this is probably a dumb question, but the "Skip Waypoint" button that used to the in the top right corner of my XT seems to have disappeared while I am navigating these days.

Would anybody have an idea why or how to get it back?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Re: Skip Waypoint button missing??

Post by Peobody »

While navigating a route touch the "three buttons" button on bottom right, then touch the wrench button. That will open the Map Buttons configuration screen where you can add/remove map buttons.
Note: The "Skip Waypoint" button is only visible when you are riding a route. It is not visible when you access the map using "Where to?" or "View Map". It may not be visible if riding a route that does not contain any Via Points but I'm not sure about that.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
adm

Post by adm »

Thank you - that's helpful.

I checked on the map buttons screen and it is enabled.

But I think the Via point answer is 100% correct. Most of my routes are done in MyRouteApp with their "standard" waypoints, which I believe translate into the XT as shaping points. If I change some of them to Via points, then the button comes back.

So it looks as if it won't let you skip shaping points, but Via points can be skipped...
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

adm wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:16 pm So it looks as if it won't let you skip shaping points, but Via points can be skipped...
Yup. The XT doesn't expect you to stop at a shaping point nor will route you back to one that you missed so there isn't any need for a skip function.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Damn, that's pretty stupid. It will route you to a shaping point if you are riding the route but it won't let you skip it if you go off-route. That makes no sense. The 595 would ask if I wanted to skip shaping points.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

It's not that it won't let you skip it, there just isn't a need to skip it. The XT doesn't try to force you back to a shaping point like it will if you miss a Via point. That is what believe I have experienced. My shaping points would have been set to not alert. I wonder if that makes a difference.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Maybe I just got too used to the 595. When it became obvious to it that you were going to miss apoint, it asked if you wanted to skip it regardless of what type of point it was.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
adm

Post by adm »

Peobody wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 pm It's not that it won't let you skip it, there just isn't a need to skip it. The XT doesn't try to force you back to a shaping point like it will if you miss a Via point. That is what believe I have experienced. My shaping points would have been set to not alert. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Maybe that's a Basecamp thing. Basecamp certainly let you set shaping points to alert or not - which is probably why I was familiar with the skip button as maybe it would allow skipping of alerting shaping points. But when I went to MyRouteApp for planning, you can only choose "regular" waypoints (which load into the XT as non-alerting shaping points), or Via points.

So the XT won't let you skip shaping points - for good reason as it should just bring you back onto the main route if you miss them. But Via points are locked in and can be skipped if required.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Note if you set a shaping point in BaseCamp to Alert that turns it into a viapoint.
adm

Post by adm »

sussamb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 am Note if you set a shaping point in BaseCamp to Alert that turns it into a viapoint.
That would explain things nicely!