A Waypoint set as a Shaping Point = NO
Some of my friends claim YES :?:
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Travel planning tips – Basecamp and Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

Read it again. I didn't say what you are saying.

If you have a saved Waypoint in a route it can be set as either a via point or as a shaping point.
and you can change it. But whatever you change it to, it is still a saved Waypoint.

I can't find anyway to make it clearer.
So I ask again - you tell me what you think a waypoint is.

I'll respond again if I get an answer. In italian, or english.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Raf, maybe this can help:
When you draw a route, on your route you'll have shaping points to shape your route (blue disks in XT), and maybe some via points (yellow flag in XT) with announcement so you know when you get close to it and stop there (like in a pub where you want to stop) or some other place.

A way point can be anywhere on your map (BC or XT). It can be marked as a colored flag or a symbol like a supermarket or a garage, or a restaurant, or a church etc. etc. However it can be on your route or anywhere else on a map. If you like, you can drag your magenta line thru it (and it'll become as shaping point or via point if announced), or leave it off your route just sitting there (maybe for a different trip). It is stored in the XT an favorites (heart symbol). Again, it is just a marking on the map representing (a cathedral etc.), even if your map is free of routes.
communicator
Been liked: 6 times
France

Post by communicator »

jfheath wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm
communicator wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:26 am

In case there are more than 29 waypoints, and to avoid that the GPS cuts the road book in 2 or 3 segments, I divide the road book of the day in x road book.
I always make sure that the change of road book corresponds either to a fuel stop or to a lunch stop.

From your image above, which I can see has been taken from Basecamp, I can see that you have 29 Waypoints created.

But your limit of 29 Waypoints is not correct. I believe that the limit is 29 Via points, rather than 29 Waypoints. It is true that when you first add a Waypoint to a route in Basecamp, it is added as a Via Point (ie alerts on arrival).
However, any Waypoint can be made into a Shaping Point. Any Shaping point can be made into a Via Point.
No matter the properties of the stages of a road book, the main thing is to pass by the road that you have chosen.
So for that I cut my road book in as many itineraries as I need and so at the end of the day (except for unforeseen road conditions) I am happy to have passed where I had decided on my PC.
It's a pity that Garmin initiated this limit of stages recently ....
On s'en fout de connaitre la vérité, l'essentiel c'est d'avoir raison (Me Eric Dupond-Moretti)
It doesn't matter what the truth is, the important thing is to be right (French Lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti

Fun is not a straight line !!!!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

So, yesterday I was riding a road that I had designated as part of a route but I had not pressed START on the XT yet. When I did, even tho I was actually ON THE ROAD OF THE ROUTE, the XT tried to straightline me through a swamp to get to another road that was not part of my route so it could then take me down another road to a point further up on my route.

My question is- why did it not recognize it was already in the route and just go? I read it said many times that the XT will try to recalculate until you rejoin the route. Not in my case. Any suggestions?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah.

This behaviour is the same reason that I alwasy advise to put your start point well away from where you are starting.

I assume that when you presses Start, it asked you to select your Next Destination. You have the choice of any of the Via points, plus 'Closest Entry Point'. I guess that you chose the first point of the route.

That point is a via point. You have to visit it - unless you press Skip.

The satnav WILL allow you to rejoin the route and continue navigating from that point onwards - providing you have not missed out any Via Points.

So if you have Va Sb Sc Sd Se Sf Vg Sh *** Si Sj Sk Sl Vm Sn So Sp Sq Vz (Via and Shaping points)

if you are at *** and you miss out Si Sj Sk and rejoin between Sk and Sl, the satnav will continue to navigate you to Sl and then to Vm
If you try to rejoin just before Sp, then the satnav will continue to try to navigate you to Si - becasue that is where it was trying to take you to and you have rejoined the route in a completely different section - after the Via point at Vm - which it doesn't know about yet.

So in your case, it is trying to get you to visit the Via Point.

If you press Skip, it will tell you which point it is trying to take you to next. IT will probably be the Via Point. If you allow it to skip that and are then on the magenta route before the next Via Point, it won't mind how many shaping points you may have skipped.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

rbentnail wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:34 pm So, yesterday I was riding a road that I had designated as part of a route but I had not pressed START on the XT yet. When I did, even tho I was actually ON THE ROAD OF THE ROUTE, the XT tried to straightline me through a swamp to get to another road that was not part of my route so it could then take me down another road to a point further up on my route.

My question is- why did it not recognize it was already in the route and just go? I read it said many times that the XT will try to recalculate until you rejoin the route. Not in my case. Any suggestions?
I just recreated this scenario. I was on a section of my route and wanted to start navigating it. I started on the nearest via point which I converted from a shaping point 2 shaping points away (so it was a 3rd shaping point from the start which I converted to a vp), clicked on Start and began moving. The nav took my route and continued navigating on it further on.
Last edited by Fxwheels on Mon May 16, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:30 pm Ah.

This behaviour is the same reason that I alwasy advise to put your start point well away from where you are starting.

I assume that when you presses Start, it asked you to select your Next Destination. You have the choice of any of the Via points, plus 'Closest Entry Point'. I guess that you chose the first point of the route.

That point is a via point. You have to visit it - unless you press Skip.

The satnav WILL allow you to rejoin the route and continue navigating from that point onwards - providing you have not missed out any Via Points.

So if you have Va Sb Sc Sd Se Sf Vg Sh *** Si Sj Sk Sl Vm Sn So Sp Sq Vz (Via and Shaping points)

if you are at *** and you miss out Si Sj Sk and rejoin between Sk and Sl, the satnav will continue to navigate you to Sl and then to Vm
If you try to rejoin just before Sp, then the satnav will continue to try to navigate you to Si - becasue that is where it was trying to take you to and you have rejoined the route in a completely different section - after the Via point at Vm - which it doesn't know about yet.

So in your case, it is trying to get you to visit the Via Point.

If you press Skip, it will tell you which point it is trying to take you to next. IT will probably be the Via Point. If you allow it to skip that and are then on the magenta route before the next Via Point, it won't mind how many shaping points you may have skipped.
Your assumptions are incorrect:

- The route contains a start point, a destination and 21 shaping points.
- I picked "nearest point entry" to join the route.

I could not for the life of me figure it out. So I stopped, found a point down the road and converted it to a via point. It worked after that. Since I am not at all inclined to use via points, do you think the "rejoin route" at "the closest point" won't work for me?

The second thing that's making me bonkers- the "can't calculate route" message. As with previous device the 595, I pick my point a mile or two down the road. I start the route, pick starting point to go to, then get fuel, have something to eat, etc. The XT says it can't calculate the route and stops trying altogether. Sunday morning I had to restart the route 3 or 4 times. 1 time I was less than a mile from the route and it was still telling me to u-turn and go back 6 miles to get to the closest point. I'm beginning to think again this thing is pretty useless. Again, I pick "closet point" and the route has no via points between the start and destination, all shaping points.

Another part of the route, I was ON THE ROUTE, physically on the road the device said to be. It popped up "can't calculate" and stopped the route. I had to restart it and then it repeated "can't calculate" even when I'm on the road the stupid thing says to be on. I'm stumped....
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok

I have noticed odd behaviour with closest entry point if U-turns are not allowed when it first calculates the closest point.

Including one where (because it thought the bike was facing south), it headed about 200 miles south for some roundabout and then came back up north. Allowing U turns cured this problem.

Worth a try ?

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

What conditions can cause "can't calculate"? I regularly receive it when I am messing around with the XT in my basement den. Stepping outside always cured it so I thought the basement location was preventing the XT from being able to communicate with enough satellites. Obviously that shouldn't have been what was causing it for Russ.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.