Zumo XT not recognizing it's on the cradle

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Re: Zumo XT not recognizing it's on the cradle

Post by Rofor »

Hi Gary - In the german 'Naviboard' forum reported some users, that glueing a piece of foam rubber on the back side of the power cord (behind the contacts) will help - when the connector is screwed to the cradle, it will get more pressure of the contacts to the contacts of the Zumo XT - maybe worth a try...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

Is the power lead correctly installed in the GPS bracket? I know that there is a right way (as per the instructions from Garmin) and a wrong way to install that lead because I installed mine the wrong way to start with. The wrong way means the connectors on the two devices don't make proper contact.
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

thanks guys, i installed the power lead following the garmin instructions, so I think i have it correctly. it looks exactly like the pictures above.. But I was thinking of putting something behind the adapter to make the pins stick out a little further in case the issue is that they are not reaching the GPS.

Thanks for the suggestions and questions.

Gary
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

To clarify, Gary, all your power leads are hard wired to the bikes?
Reason I ask, I had a similar power loss issue with my cradle(new style), every time the power would drop I'd get the dreaded pop up saying that power was lost and to check for updates......
Eventually tracked the problem..
On the Garmin power lead I have an automotive cig lighter end on the cord so I can use the cradle on either of my bikes or in either of my vehicles... To connect to my BMW's that use the Powerlet sockets I have an adapter male to female.. long story short my problem was at my Powerlet power socket that while the bike was moving, the contact would be intermittent.
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Six cradles and two XTs, it’s hard to believe it’s an electrical contact issue but you never know. Do you always install the XT in the cradle then turn the key on? My BMW CANBus can act strange if it doesn’t first sense there’s a GPS connected or disconnected and reconnected. I haven’t found a distinct pattern though and it’s only happened twice that I’ve noticed. I’ve read of others having CANBus dropout issues but don’t know if it’s still ongoing. Also, see that the GPS is in motorcycle mode. It should sense the cradle and confirm but could be an issue.

As a test, you could wire direct to the battery and see if you still have the issue.
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

Electro_Handyman, yes I confirm the Power modules are hardwired to the motorcycle auxiliary power connectors, I am not using any cigarette lighter type connection (they are notorious for making bad contact!!), wires are soldered and using automotive grade connectors.

I really think it is the connectors, not making contact with the GPS, so raising the rubber connector inside the cradle seems to be a sensible thing to try.

Regards Gary
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

well I went and measured the pins on all the 6 cradles, on all of them the bottom pin sits about 0.5mm lower (further from the GPS) than the middle metal pin, so I suspect my issue is the lower pin not making good contact with the GPS. I removed the rubber power lead from each of the cradles and glued part of a metal split pin (0.7mm tall) to the little lugs on the cradle to push the lower pin up towards the GPS. I did it on one GPS and after connecting and disconnecting the GPS 8 times (it connected every time!!) I am convinced this is my issue, so I have done the same thing to the 5 others!! Fingers crossed this fixes it.

Regards Gary
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

Hopefully that is a win.
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

XT Mount.jpg
XT Mount.jpg (306.19 KiB) Viewed 965 times
So am I right in assuming that I have the newer mount and the old cable?
Thrasherg
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

You are correct.. that is the old power lead and a new cradle..