Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Can the settings be backed up on a XT?

Post by Peobody »

My XT is being replaced under warranty. Is there a way to backup the settings and then restore them to the replacement? A search of the Owner's Manual for "backup" doesn't find anything but I thought I would ask before I clear user data and reset all settings.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Re: Can the settings be backed up on a XT?

Post by Rofor »

Sadly no 'official' way - Garmin Express will backup all(!) necessary files on demand or automatically when making updates, but, typically for Garmin, it will not(!) restore them!?

The following files will backed up:

the folder 'Poi' with all self installed POIs
the folder 'Gpx' with 'CurrentTrackLog.gpx', 'Current.gpx' and 'Temp.gpx'
the folder '.System/Gpx' with 'DriveLog.gpx'
the folder '.System/Trips' with a *.trip file and
the folder '.System/SQLite' with all *.db files, which are containing all settings...

The backups are saved in the 'Documents/Garmin/Backups' folder - there are one or more folders with numbers as names, one of them corresponds to the Zumo XT's serial # and contains up to three folders, named like this: '2022-05-06 (11.30.55)' - this folders contain the backups.

Those backups will be made automatically from GE, when you made a firmware update with it - or you can make a backup by pressing 'Backup now' on the 'Zumo XT - Extras - Tools' page of Garmin Express. Also here you can press 'Restore' to save a previously made backup back to the Zumo XT.

As i had to reset my Zumo XT because of the three-dot-fault on the map screen after updating to v6.4, i've made another reset to see, if i can restore my settings with it - sadly it did not work! :?

But there's one other way to restore most of the settings, if you're brave enough!

Just boot up your 'fresh' Zumo XT - make the minimals settings just to operate the unit - go into the 'hidden menu' and make the hidden '.System' folder visible - now connect the Zumo XT to your computer and copy all the files in the previous named backup to the right places of your Zumo XT, overwriting the original ones...

Reboot the Zumo XT - all(!) your previous settings should be there again with three exceptions:

your bluetooth connections will NOT be restored, even if the necessary infos for them are also saved in the backup,
also Garmin Drive has again to be connected with the Zumo XT and
your Wifi settings are also NOT restored...

Beneath this, all other settings should be just as you have taken them before...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks Robert. I don't think it will be overwhelming to go screen by screen with the two devices, configuring the new to match the old but I was so hoping the connection information could be backed up on the old and restored to the new one.

Do you know what I should expect when it comes to maps? Currently installed are:
CN North America NT 2023.10 US & Canada
TopoActive PS Americas, North 2021.02
TopoActive PS Americas, Central 2021.02 (if this is Central America then I don't care about it)
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

For your maps I'd simply run Express and let it do its thing. That will also make future map updates simpler as Express will have an update history.
Rofor
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@Peobody - sussamb mentioned it perfectly, let do GE it's work!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Yep, GE and be patient. I had to "update" several different times to get everything to work. And never, EVER have GE and Base Camp open at the same time. Be sure to click the little arrow thing bottom right and quit GE if it's running in the background. I also found to enable wifi on the device and let it update the system files first, then connect to GE for maps.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks all! The replacement is supposed to be here on Monday so I know what I will be doing on Tuesday.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:18 am For your maps I'd simply run Express and let it do its thing. That will also make future map updates simpler as Express will have an update history.
This comment got me to thinkin'... Awhile ago I was lamenting that the installed maps listed by the XT did not match the ones listed by Express. I believe that the last map update was done using the Settings > Update function on the XT. I had to install it again using Express in order to then install it to the PC but Express never listed it as being installed (it was the latest CN NA map). I assumed that Express was reading the list of installed maps off the XT. If it keeps it own history, well, that could explain the discrepancy between the installed maps lists.

BTW, my replacement XT arrived earlier today. My attempt to install maps with Express failed. I don't recall the failure reason. The XT arrived with a dead battery so perhaps Express recognized that and wouldn't attempt the map install. I will let it fully charge then try again.

Edit: Second attempt worked. Installed maps are as expected. All seems good. I made the mistake of turning on both XT's while my phone was nearby which seemed to confuse the heck out of the Garmin Drive app but I seem to have that sorted out.