Headset Requirement - Single or multi channel

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
tunedude
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Headset Requirement - Single or multi channel

Post by tunedude »

Good afternoon all,

As the title says, I am wanting to know whether the Zumo XT operates with the need for multi channel headset, or whether a basic bluetooth headset, such as my Schuberth's, will be compatible.

I bought a TomTom Rider 550 as an upgrade to the Rider V5 and I was upset to find out with my headset I can EITHER make or receive calls OR listen to the sat nav instructions. This new sat nav has the requirement for a multi channel headset.

I'm stuck now between a rock and a hard place because I'm planning a trip to France and I don't want to have a sat nav which I can't easily communicate / hear instructions with, nor do I wish to carry on trying to use one with outdated mapping.

I've only ever had a car Garmin sat navs in my van, so I'm not familiar with the requirements of the motorbike versions.

When I've tried to research this, there isn't the information given. I have tried searching on here, but I don't feel I'm searching with the right terms.

The headset is the Schuberth SRC 4.20 and my phone is a Samsung S10+.

If someone can advise, I would be most grateful.

regards

Ian
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

Re: Headset Requirement - Single or multi channel

Post by CollingsBob »

I think the issue lies with your Sena. I use a Cardo PackTalk Bold that has 2 separate bluetooth connections. I use one channel for the Garmin - essential because I can’t see the Garmin well enough to see the screen. The second channel connects to my iPhone, which has my music and I use Siri to make and receive phone calls while riding.
Certified JB Welder
tunedude
Great Britain

Post by tunedude »

Just checked the manual and it's based on a Cardio system.

So if I purchased a Zumo XT, I'm going to have the same issue? t's not going to be a case of the Garmin acts as the go between like my current TomTom is? My headset and phone both connects to the Garmin, so the call from the phone is bounced through the Garmin and to my headset?
CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

This is from the Sena manual:

“ Pair your SC10UA with your phone and satnav so that you can listen to music, make a phone call or hear navigation instructions. A robust Bluetooth connection links up two external devices at the same time. The SC10UA allows four-way communication with your riding buddies. It has up to ten hours talk time, so you’re more likely to run out of fuel before the SC10UA needs recharging”

I stand corrected..apparently you can pair the Sena to your phone and your Satnav..
Certified JB Welder
tunedude
Great Britain

Post by tunedude »

I haven't a Sena headset

https://www.schuberth.com/en/products/m ... loads.html

It's the one for the C3 pro
CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

I found this…

Certified JB Welder
tunedude
Great Britain

Post by tunedude »

Yes, thank you, but that's just a review of the headset.

My question is still, does the Garmin Zumo XT require a multi channel headset for all functionality?

My headset is single channel, hence why I can't use the latest TomToms
giuseppe66
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times
Italy

Post by giuseppe66 »

The Sena SC takes advantage of all the features of the XT except if the Sena is the ADVANCED version which is multi-channel bluethoot. He had several communications with the Sena and Schubert service centers and finally directly at the Verona fair at the Sena stand which confirmed to me that the XT, to work at its full potential, needs intercoms with more bluethoot channels. As for the European market, there are Cardos and Midlands but if you use road signs and communication with the passenger at the same time without interruption you necessarily need an intercom with 2 integrated bluethoot chips and today only Midland (btx2 pro S) has this characteristic. I tested both Cardo and Midland on the road with Garmin gps (590, 595, XT). However, I have not checked compatibility with TomTom Raider and Sena but for sure, if you have the "standard" version of Sena, it will not work as it is not multi-channel bluethoot like the "advanced" version
giuseppe66
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times
Italy

Post by giuseppe66 »

n essence, if you travel alone, the XT also works with the "standard" Sena version but you will have limitations such as no multitasking and if you have the music on (only from the GPS) and you receive directions, the music stops and then does not restart. If you have the music on (from your mobile phone) and you get directions, the music restarts. If you are traveling in company with the "standard" Sena, any road signs will interrupt communication with the passenger and will not resume automatically. With the "advanced" version you will not have these problems. In any case, the XT is combined with the Sena both standard and advanced
jfheath
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 609 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I know nothing about Dual Channel Bluetooth. But I believe that this would be a necessity IF you wish to communicate with a pillion.

If you pair the phone with the XT and you pair the headset with the XT then you can listen to music, carry out phone conversation, hear the satnav instructions. ie the XT is the centre of all activity.

You can listen to Music streamed from you phone, but I found this to be less than satisfactory. Control of the tracks is limited and although I got a good signal, there were times when the music stopped playing and restarted. Quite frequently. I have a suspicion that as vehicles and phones came into range and out of range the BT system was forever getting signals from other devices - and it became overloaded with requests. I gave up on that, and instead I put my music onto the MP3 folder on the SD card. The inbuilt music system is much better, clearer and gives much better control of the music being played, with its own volume setting in the mixer.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.