Zumo 595LM Not Recognized MacBook Pro M1 Max?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo 595LM Not Recognized MacBook Pro M1 Max?

Post by PaulaRay »

Bluenoser2 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:28 am
PaulaRay wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:36 pm
Bluenoser2 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:33 pm Let me know how you make out with. I hope it works this time.
Thanks,
David
Thank You David.... I just tried everything you listed but, no luck. I'm really hoping the problem is my patch cable that I've been using. It worked well on my 2016 but, with this M1 Max being so different in every way I'm hoping that the direct Micro to USB-C cable will do the trick. I will defiantly report back here tomorrow once I try out the cable. Thanks again, appreciate the help! 👍😊
One other thing...one of the earlier replies to you mentions the media transfer settings. I have cut and pasted it below and you may want to check that out if you haven't already done so. I'm really hoping for you as I know how frustrated I was!

To check the transfer settings on the Zumo.
Map->Speed indication (bottom lef)->Hold circular speed button for 10 secs until screen changes.

Find configuration and settings -> MTP settings. Choose MTP for media transfer ( gives device name), or Mass Storage - which gives drive letters.
Tried the MTP Settings earlier on and just now with my new data cord that arrived today..... No Luck. The micro USB tab looks fine with the exception of Garmins sloppy metal work around the tab on all of these units when new. I only have three settings to choose from in which I tried them all (see below). I would say that Garmin needs to update their software for these new M1 Mac's. Worked OK on my Intel based 2016 MacBook Pro. Now the new processor is Apple Silicon which could be the problem. After using Garmin for over 20 years and knowing how there software engineers and updates are, I would have to say I'm S.O.L. for quite a while."IF I'm lucky enough" to get this going, I will definitely report back here with the resolution. Anyway, I do sincerely appreciate all the help and time that you have given me. 👍
Attachments
Zumo.jpg
Zumo.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Bluenoser2
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

PaulaRay wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:40 pm
PaulaRay wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Thank You David.... I just tried everything you listed but, no luck. I'm really hoping the problem is my patch cable that I've been using. It worked well on my 2016 but, with this M1 Max being so different in every way I'm hoping that the direct Micro to USB-C cable will do the trick. I will defiantly report back here tomorrow once I try out the cable. Thanks again, appreciate the help! 👍😊
One other thing...one of the earlier replies to you mentions the media transfer settings. I have cut and pasted it below and you may want to check that out if you haven't already done so. I'm really hoping for you as I know how frustrated I was!

Map->Speed indication (bottom lef)->Hold circular speed button for 10 secs until screen changes.

Find configuration and settings -> MTP settings. Choose MTP for media transfer ( gives device name), or Mass Storage - which gives drive letters.
Tried the MTP Settings earlier on and just now with my new data cord that arrived today..... No Luck. The micro USB tab looks fine with the exception of Garmins sloppy metal work around the tab on all of these units when new. I only have three settings to choose from in which I tried them all (see below). I would say that Garmin needs to update their software for these new M1 Mac's. Worked OK on my Intel based 2016 MacBook Pro. Now the new processor is Apple Silicon which could be the problem. After using Garmin for over 20 years and knowing how there software engineers and updates are, I would have to say I'm S.O.L. for quite a while."IF I'm lucky enough" to get this going, I will definitely report back here with the resolution. Anyway, I do sincerely appreciate all the help and time that you have given me. 👍
Glad to help, or at least try to, anytime. I would keep trying the AFT with it and using different combos of connecting it with the Zumo on or Zumo off. That was the first step for me to know that a connection was possible. Also try to connect Basecamp as I remember it connecting to that software and not Express. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Best Regards, David
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Bluenoser2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:59 am
PaulaRay wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Glad to help, or at least try to, anytime. I would keep trying the AFT with it and using different combos of connecting it with the Zumo on or Zumo off. That was the first step for me to know that a connection was possible. Also try to connect Basecamp as I remember it connecting to that software and not Express. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Best Regards, David
Thank You David, I will keep trying along with keeping an eye on Garmin to see if they make any progress in future updates. My only workaround for now will be creating maps in BaseCamp and downloading the GPX files to my SD card for the Zumo. You along with others here on the forum have been great in trying to get me up and going. I'll report back if/once I get up and going..... Appreciate it. Ray 👍😊
Last edited by PaulaRay on Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Just came across the following which has been going on for over a year..... unfortunately, no resolution.
https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... ment-459=1
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

PaulaRay wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:22 pm Just came across the following which has been going on for over a year..... unfortunately, no resolution.
Oh geez! Makes no sense why there isn't more/better support for Macs. When I got my first Mac 20 years ago, I was willing to accept a few concessions that some things would not have an app or not work, but now there are so many Macs around this shouldn't be the case. Hope there is a fix for you soon!
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Bluenoser2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:56 pm
PaulaRay wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:22 pm Just came across the following which has been going on for over a year..... unfortunately, no resolution.
Oh geez! Makes no sense why there isn't more/better support for Macs. When I got my first Mac 20 years ago, I was willing to accept a few concessions that some things would not have an app or not work, but now there are so many Macs around this shouldn't be the case. Hope there is a fix for you soon!
Mac's and Garmin has always coflicted in one way or another. Back when I was on Microsoft Window based PC's I didn't have any real big issues. I was using MapSource back then along with a Garmin 276c road/marine gps for years. I routed an entire 5 week trip through 14 states here in the USA with at least 200 waypoints with only a few minor problems. So few, I could count them on one hand. I switched to Mac in 2016 in which I had to move on to Basecamp from MapSource. It was/is like stepping back into time of dial up, etc. I.M.O. BaseCamp doesn't even come close to the use of MapSource. I'm not surprised with the problem I along with many others are having with these M1 Mac's. I am however, extremely surprised with how a company/manufacturer such as Garmin is sooooo far behind in their software. I could go on but, I'm sure I made my point. Thanks again, appreciate ya. Ray 👍 🤞
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

Garmin wants to throw every excuse they can in regards to why us new Apple M1 Mac owner's are having problems; Incorrect cords, Improper settings, the need of having to use powered hubs..... Just to name a few. After extensive research, there is no doubt Garmin Express and Basecamps software, is Intel based. Bottom line, Garmin would rather "TRY" to BS all of us...... than give us the truth of their inadequacies.
PaulaRay
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

SOLVED!! First, a huge THANK YOU to everyone here for all your time in helping me get this resolved!
My son-in-law gave me the following Dynex USB 2.0 hub along with the power adapter. This along with a USB-C to Mini-B Belkin cord and the oem Garmin cord did the trick. I did tests with the power adapter with and without it which worked either way. I'll probably just use the power from the MacBook Pro M1 making it one less cord to plug in.
This particular hub has been discontinued but, there are a few of these on eBay (link below) with one being new. I would say any 2.0 hub will do the trick just as long as it has 480Mbps for data.
I'm extremely happy with this getting me up and going but, I still feel the same about Garmin. They really need to get their act together and catch up with today's technology when it comes to Mac's. Even the newer units for example; Zumo XT and GarminDrive units as listed here are giving people fits;
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=K ... KQK5vAeKD8
And Here
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=n ... s1M7aSrGF7

Although not on that list, my 595LM is and has been checked on MTP Auto Detect since day one. I did try the others with all three not being recognized during tests "without" this old 2.0 USB hub.
Anyway, I whined enough about Garmin.......
Once again, Thank You to everyone here for your help!! I sincerely appreciate it more than you'll ever know. I'm sure this thread will help others that found themselves in the same jam as I was. 👍😊

Dynex 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub DX-4P2H
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... _&device=c

Belkin F2CU034bt06-BLK 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Cable
https://www.belkin.com/au/cables/cha...c/p/p-f2cu034/

Full Setup.jpg
Full Setup.jpg (310.04 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Hub & Cords.jpg
Hub & Cords.jpg (264.09 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Power Cord.jpg
Power Cord.jpg (196.83 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
BaseCamp.jpg
BaseCamp.jpg (233.55 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Garmin Express.jpg
Garmin Express.jpg (284.26 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Cord Box.jpg
Cord Box.jpg (201.53 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Attachments
Garmin Express.jpg
Garmin Express.jpg (284.26 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Last edited by PaulaRay on Wed May 04, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thank You @PaulaRay

An excellent bit of detective work, very nicely documented with links to allow other members to follow the solution for themselves.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Bluenoser2
Canada

Post by Bluenoser2 »

PaulaRay wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:16 pm SOLVED!! First, a huge THANK YOU to everyone here for all your time in helping me get this resolved!
My son-in-law gave me the following Dynex USB 2.0 hub along with the power adapter. This along with a USB-C to Mini-B Belkin cord and the oem Garmin cord did the trick. I did tests with the power adapter with and without it which worked either way. I'll probably just use the power from the MacBook Pro M1 making it one less cord to plug in.
This particular hub has been discontinued but, there are a few of these on eBay (link below) with one being new. I would say any 2.0 hub will do the trick just as long as it has 480Mbps for data.
I'm extremely happy with this getting me up and going but, I still feel the same about Garmin. They really need to get their act together and catch up with today's technology when it comes to Mac's. Even the newer units for example; Zumo XT and GarminDrive units as listed here are giving people fits;
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=K ... KQK5vAeKD8
And Here
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=n ... s1M7aSrGF7

Although not on that list, my 595LM is and has been checked on MTP Auto Detect sine day one. I did try the others with all three not being recognized during tests "without" this old 2.0 USB hub.
Anyway, I whined enough about Garmin.......
Once again, Thank You to everyone here for your help!! I sincerely appreciate it more than you'll ever know. I'm sure this thread will help others that found themselves in the same jam as I was. 👍😊

Dynex 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub DX-4P2H
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... _&device=c

Belkin F2CU034bt06-BLK 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Cable
https://www.belkin.com/au/cables/cha...c/p/p-f2cu034/

Full Setup.jpg
Hub & Cords.jpg
Power Cord.jpg
BaseCamp.jpg
Garmin Express.jpg
Cord Box.jpg
Ray: That's awesome! Thanks so much for posting this! So glad you kept working at it. I'm sure your post will help many others with the mysterious Mac connection issues. It's still puzzling why some don't have any problems. Take care and best regards, David