No Maps Installed ?

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Zeewulf
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

No Maps Installed ?

Post by Zeewulf »

Hi All,

I've got a secondhand Garmin Zumo 550 which came with no maps on it. How do I re-install the original map that came with the unit from the factory ?

Garmin express doesn't give me the option to update a map or re-install one, only too buy a brand new one.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: No Maps Installed ?

Post by sussamb »

That's strange because normally if the map is deleted Express would reinstall it.

Having said that I'm not sure Express would reinstall the initial map. Where did you get the zumo from?
Zeewulf
Great Britain

Post by Zeewulf »

Unit was part of a job lot of items i bought. The Zumo 550 has done the normal updates but the only way I can add a map is if I purchase one. Tried using webupdater also to reinstall everything and still no option to download/install a map unless I buy it.
Zeewulf
Great Britain

Post by Zeewulf »

Tried contacting Garmin support UK and they basically asked me to try the re-install map option (which I explained I can't do due to garmin express not seeing a map on my device anymore). They then adopted the usual 'no longer supported, we want you to buy a newer model' routine. So does anyone have a european zumo 550 that had lifetime maps on it and could possible send me the map file to try adding to my unit to see if i can get it to update from that (don't mind if it's an out of date map as i'm not convinced it will work anyway).
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Unlikely to work as maps are locked to the device, so it wouldn't work on your zumo
Zeewulf
Great Britain

Post by Zeewulf »

Didn't think it would.

Oh well looks like I have a fully working Zumo 550 but no maps. Seems silly to spend £79.99 on lifetime maps for it when I may as well just pay the extra and upgrade to the Zumo XT :(
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Its been a while but I too have a Zoom 550 which I use often. What I did not remember was if the device came with lifetime maps when purchased.

If it did the next question does that go with the device or the person. Seems to be that I had to register by 550 when I had it worked on by the Palm Dr. But that has been sometime ago (or maybe it was when I had to replace it, again some time ago).
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

carolinarider09 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:07 pm Its been a while but I too have a Zoom 550 which I use often. What I did not remember was if the device came with lifetime maps when purchased.

If it did the next question does that go with the device or the person.
Maps are associated with the specific serial number device. I have purchased a used Zumo with maps and I was able to add that Zumo to my Garmin account. I continue to update those devices with map updates.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

Short of purchasing the map file from Garmin, you do have the option of OSM(Open Street Maps) maps, and they are free... HOWEVER.... they don't have the same address search database, so searching by an address may not work.
Zeewulf
Great Britain

Post by Zeewulf »

Well strange thing happened today, Garmin Express said there was an update for my 550. So plugged it in to check what was being updated and it was the latest map. So downloaded the whole of Europe to my PC (as a precaution) and installed it via MapInstall.

Only thing I need now is the cradle to fit the thing onto the bike, anyone got a spare lying around ?