Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Travel planning tips – Basecamp and Zumo XT

Post by Raf »

Hi!
My next trip will include 6 days and then 6 routes with many waypoints of routes and waypoints to visit.
I wanted your comment. I'm afraid to get confused with all waypoints, so I want to do it this way:
I transfer from Basecamp one at a time all the routes and WP from the My Collection folder to the Zumo microsd.
And I would like to give an example :

Day 1 : I transfer route 1 with its WP from the microsd to the Internal Storage of zumo
Day 2 : I delete from the zumo the route 1 and its WP. Then I transfer route 2 with its WP to Zumo.
Day 3 : I delete from Zumo route 2 and its WP and transfer route 3 with its WP
Etc etc. etc etc.
In your opinion this could be a good solution? Could there be any problems? Could there be any problem with the Microsd?

Thank
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Travel planning tips – Basecamp and Zumo XT

Post by sussamb »

Don't do it one at a time unless you rename the file sent by BaseCamp each time. BaseCamp sends data in a file named temp.gpx

Unless you rename it each time temp.gpx will be overwritten each time and you'll end up with just the last data you send on your card.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

Each route has its own name.I transfer from Basecamp in the microsd . Then from Microsd in zumo

What solution can you give me so that I do not confuse?
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

My English is not perfect and maybe I did not express myself well
When I finished the route of day 1, this no longer interests me.I'm only interested in the day 2 route with its WP. And so on
jcp
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by jcp »

Raf wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:15 pm

Day 1 : I transfer route 1 with its WP from the microsd to the Internal Storage of zumo
Day 2 : I delete from the zumo the route 1 and its WP. Then I transfer route 2 with its WP to Zumo.
Day 3 : I delete from Zumo route 2 and its WP and transfer route 3 with its WP
Etc etc. etc etc.

Thank
Should work fine.....
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

jcp wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:26 pm Should work fine.....
I hope so. Thank
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

How you are describing is exactly how I always do it. Just be sure to name the routes something simple like Day 1, Day2, etc. so you always have the correct file.

I do not use File/Transfer command in Base Camp. Highlight all the files you want to move and Drag & Drop to User Memory.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I agree with rbentnail. One route per day, each uniquely named. There really isn't a need to load to the SD card first unless you want them saved on the XT for future reference. Of course consideration should be given to how many routes you already have stored on the internal storage of the XT. If not many, and you have the space, and you don't care about them being permanently stored on the XT's SD card, then you can send them all to the internal storage and save yourself the trouble of importing one every day. I am leaving shortly on a five day trip and have all five route loaded into internal storage. Each route name starts with a day identifier (D1_,D2_, D3_, etc) . I won't ever take this trip again so will delete them from the XT once I'm home.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

Before !! thank everyone who intervened.
Route names don't bother me. The wp can give me problems. I'll do it like this: Day 1 = route 01X with wp 01 a, 01 b etc etc. Day 2 = route 02 Y with wp 02 g, 02 L, 02 m etc etc All in the internal storage folder temp.gpx. Every day I choose the routes and the wp that interest me and import them. Could it go?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When you transfer a route from Basecamp to the Zumo XT its associated waypoints go with it so you don't need to transfer them specifically. If you ride the route as designed in Basecamp then it will include those waypoints.

When I first started working in Basecamp I thought it was valuable to consecutively number the waypoint names in a route with a numeric prefix for the benefit of having them listed in the same order as they appear in the route. The problem with this is that it adversely affects how they are displayed on the XT as well as with the voice instructions. For instance, if you have a waypoint at 1212 Capitol Avenue and you name it "01_1212 Capital Avenue" then it is displayed like that on the XT and is announced as something like "zero one one two one two Capital Avenue". I don't name waypoints numerically any more. It helped in Basecamp but that was all.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.