Activity Profiles

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Activity Profiles

Post by Scarecrow »

Ok next Question (Sorry)
If I send a route to my XT from Basecamp with one Activity Profile then send another route with a different profile
will the XT automatically pick this up or will it just keep to the preferences set in the XT
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Activity Profiles

Post by sussamb »

One for @jfheath
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

When I want different activity profiles for different routes, this is what I do:

In Base Camp, double click the route to open the editing box. Click on the Route Options tab. Tick the Customize Route Options box and choose options as appropriate.

This seems to keep the zumo from using defaults for calculating when the route is transferred and imported.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Scarecrow wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:01 am Ok next Question (Sorry)
If I send a route to my XT from Basecamp with one Activity Profile then send another route with a different profile
will the XT automatically pick this up or will it just keep to the preferences set in the XT
Basecamp only sends the navigation settings - eg Faster Time, Shorter Distance and the profile that is used in Basecamp (Driving, Motorcycling, Direct).

It doesn't send any avoidances or other routing preferences. If the Zumo receives anything other than Faster Time, Shorter Distance - it defaults to using motorcycle. If it receives anything other than Faster, Shorter, Direct - it defaults to Faster Time.

A detailed description of the behaviour is here - and yes - it still applies to version 6.40

app.php/ZXT-P38

But just for completeness - a simple example.

1. Suppose your Zumo has the car profile set to Navigate on Faster Time.
2. Suppose the Bike navigation settings are set for Shorter Distance.
3. Your Zumo is set to use the car profile (there is a car icon on the black ribbon at the top of the main screen.
4. You have created a route in Basecamp using the Motorcycle profile and navigation set to Faster Time.

You load the route into the XT and say Go !
What do you think will happen ?

The answer is that the Zumo will switch from Car to Motorcycle - because that is what is specified in the route. (3)
If the Zumo has to recalculate the route at any time, it will use Faster Time - because that is what is specified in the route (4).
Even though your XT has settings for the motorcycle to use shorter distance (2)

However it will use the XT avoidances that are set for Motorcycle - because the route specifies the motorcycle profile.

When the route is stopped your Zumo will remain in Motorcycle usage mode. (remember it was in car usage mode when you loaded the route).

If you specify any other profile in Basecamp except Driving, Motorcycling or Direct - the XT will assume that you specified Motorcycling
If you specify any routing preferences other than Shorter of Faster - The XT will assume that you wanted Faster Time.
If you specify any avoidances in Basecamp, the XT will ignore them (actually it never gets to see them).

When you load the route, the Zumo will let you know what vehicle and routing it will use:-

* Before you press Go! there is an icon (car or motorcycle), which reveals the vehicle's set of avoidances it will use.
* Click the spanner, and it will tell you what navigation preferences (faster, shorter) it is going to use.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've modfied the above reply. v6.40 behaves just as described for v6.30 - in the link above.

There was some odd behvaiour on my unit. I reverted back to 6.30 to check that out, and then reinstalled 6.4
Testing reveals no change - although the selection of navigation and vehicle doesn't come into effect until after Go! is pressed.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.