Hi from South Africa

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
BiG DoM
South Africa

Hi from South Africa

Post by BiG DoM »

Got a new XT - I have had 3 Zumos previously ... irritated that it is Android and Mac unfriendly and not properly disclosed by Garmin ... looking to 'navigate' this problem!
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi from South Africa

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forums.
BiG DoM wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:56 am Got a new XT - I have had 3 Zumos previously ... irritated that it is Android and Mac unfriendly and not properly disclosed by Garmin ... looking to 'navigate' this problem!
Why do you say that it is Android unfriendly ? It talks with my Samsung pefectly OK.

I've not noticed anything particular about the Mac - but then, I don't have one, so I don't pay much attention. The only time I can think of that you would be using your Mac is with either Basecamp or with Explore.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BiG DoM
South Africa

Post by BiG DoM »

Yes possibly ambiguous - I was saying it IS Android and so not Mac friendly (not that is Android unfriendly). This appears to be a known and pretty common problem but one Garmin side steps and does not clearly disclose. many have bought an XT only to be frustrated and disappointed by this. The necessity to use back door methods to load tracks (need an Android Transfer App etc etc). Also that one cannot use Bluetooth with Mac is a serious shortfall imh. So yes that is why I am saying what I am. :ugeek:
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Not wanting to be an apologist for Garmin, but I don't think Garmin Drive for Android is any more back door than Garmin Basecamp for Windows. Agreed, both have their pluses and minuses.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
BiG DoM
South Africa

Post by BiG DoM »

Garmin Drive is only a cellphone App - cannot be compared to Basecamp by any stretch of the imagination. Why should I have to send my files to a phone app to get them on my GPS? That is a backdoor fix.
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

We must be talking at cross purposes. The gpx files on my phone/tablet I send to the XT via Garmin Drive. The gpx files on my PC I send to the XT via Garmin Basecamp. One seems as straightforward as the other - to me at least. Your mileage obviously varies, so I'll bow out!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
BiG DoM
South Africa

Post by BiG DoM »

I cannot send routes or tracks from Basecamp on my MacBook (where I do all my planning not on my phone) to the XT like I could on my other three Zumo's I have had - they have changed it with the XT so not possible! I have to copy the GPX to my desktop then send it to Drive on my phone to get it to the XT.
colirv
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

And that, I can see, would be a right royal pain!
Colin
BMW R1250RS